Labytintitis or vertigo

I have been suffering what i thought was Lab since 2010, i was reffered to a ENT consultant and neauro consultant had tests down and was told it was Lab, well i was Lab free for a yr in 2011 then about 1 mth ago all came back with stress ! I now get pounding headaches with it every day, taking pain killers but not really taking it off ! Just wonder if i do have Lab or Mav, any ideas ! Thankyou

Labs does not recur nor does it last many months. The current problem is almost guaranteed to be MAV. The headaches are a strong clue. Check out the MAV Survival guide that is posted in this forum.

I know many people who have labs and have been suffering for yrs and yrs non stop ! Thats why i thought i had it and was dignoised by 2 consultants, but now i have pounding headaches this time !

They are misdiagnosed, they most likely have MAV or CSD caused by anxiety.

So many off them been misdiagnosed ! Im off to my gp next wk to chat with him, whats the best treatment with hardly no side affects, as i work in a university hospital and deals with patients everyday, manufacture chemo drugs so i need to know what im doing ! Thankyou

Hi Livelyred and welcome to the forum.

Sorry to hear you have been getting hit with this junk for a while now. Darren is absolutely correct. Labyrinthitis DOES NOT last for months on end nor does it reoccur as you have been told and experienced. Can you let us know if you tick the following boxes?

1. Does anyone in any part of your family have migraine pain that you know of? When I say migraine pain I mean anything from recurrent low grade headaches to persistent neck pain issues for example.

2. Have you ever experienced light or sound sensitivity with this?

3. Explain your headaches please. With or without dizziness? Any neck pain or “coat hanger” type pain in the neck and shoulders?

I’m curious to know if you have been thinking about the labs dx because of information you received from another forum as well as what the physician originally told you?

Please read the Survival Guide and then read the PDF paper at the end of the article.

Best to you
S 8)

Hi Scott well no one in my family suffer with any form off headaches migraines, i never did till i got my second spout off dizziness, off balance etc ! Yes im sensative to lights especailly on a sunny day it affects me badly. Dizziness starts as soon as i get up from my bed, im fine lying down then as soon as im up it starts, the dizziness is where the room feels like its spinning around, walking down a rd, across a car park and corridors are especially worse. My eyes feels like they have deteotated i know they havent as i have just been to the optitians. I do get neck shoulder pain, i just thought its me getting old lol or my job as i work in a university hospital and very busy and get stressed. I also get a foggy head, hard to explain really ! Some days i just dont feel all with it, i have to double check things to make sure i have done it right especially at work. Oh and i do get tingling in my arms, hands now and again. I thought it was Labs as i have seen many consultants, had a MRI scan, inner ear tests, and also seen a physio, they all told me it was Labs, but i didnt get the headaches everyday back when i first got it in 2010. Thankyou for your help

So any ideas !

Hi there,

Yes im sensative to lights especailly on a sunny day it affects me badly.

This is your number one clue – labs does not cause light sensitivity. This is a central nervous system issue and is migraine-based.

I do get neck shoulder pain, i just thought its me getting old.

This is classic migraine – 75% of migraineurs complain of neck pain.

I also get a foggy head, hard to explain really ! Some days i just dont feel all with it, i have to double check things to make sure i have done it right especially at work.

Again, common stuff with MAV.

Oh and i do get tingling in my arms, hands now and again.

Migraine again.

I thought it was Labs as i have seen many consultants, had a MRI scan, inner ear tests, and also seen a physio, they all told me it was Labs.

They were wrong. Time to start thinking differently about this, dump the labs idea and treat this with migraine lifestyle and meds if you can’t get it under control. Start identifying triggers by keeping a diary.

Good luck and keep reading all you can here to get your head around this. Knowledge is the key.

S 8)

Thankyou scott, i having been thinking lately it was MAV with the symptoms i have been getting ! Popping to gp in wk, but i do not wants meds thats sonk me out or make me worse because off my job in a hospital, especially dealing with patients etc ! Any idea what med r good, not many side affects and ant homeopathic meds that work ! Thankyou again :stuck_out_tongue:

Hi,

Homeopathy is nonsense and a waste of time. Steer clear of that. Is anxiety or depression an issue at the moment?

I dont really get them now really, i did when i was very bad a few wks ago !

I work in a hospital taking care of patients during cardiac procedures. When all this struck, I had to take a full 12wks off from work…actually thought I would never be able to go back. I had to go back as my job was unprotected after having 12 wks off. It was hard,but I pushed through. I am on ami 35mg, nadolol 40mg and I take klonopin as needed. I get all the symptoms you discussed. My mouth, nose, hands and feet will go numb with an attack. I also am very light sensitive, always have been. I have been able to work the past year. Not all days are perfect but I can deal with it. Without the drugs I don’t think I would be where I am now. I also completely gave up caffeine and aspartame. It is possible to work and take very good care of your pts. I also started taking classes for my masters… I think for me doing more is what helped me a lot. Very good to keep your mind off being dizzy. Best luck!

I was asking about anxiety or depression because often the best way to chose a medication for migraine is to look at the co-morbidities that go with it. And so if you were having these issues, it would make sense to chase up a tricyclic or SSRI.

S