Leg Weakness

Hi

Just a quick question, do vestibular disorders affect the legs, making them feel weak and shaky. I’ve had this symptom on and off since last autumn, 6 months before my balance issues started.

I dont know if my leg issues have caused the unbalanced sensations or if a problem with my ears or vestibular system is causing the weird leg sensations. It was fairly intermittent when it started but has definitely gotten far more frequent in the last couple of months. Its the old chicken and egg question. I’m finding it troubling. Thanks.

Hi Dizzy

I’m not 100% if this is MAV for me but I do have leg weakness that comes and goes. It’s hard to say as I have an other condition it could be. It will be interesting to read if anyone with just MAV alone has this. I get the feeling sometimes my legs are going to go from underneath me or that they can’t carry my weight almost. It’s usually fleeting which is good but I have noticed this myself.

1 Like

They do affect the legs, they can make them feel heavy, different weights or different lengths … a lot of strange feelings.

Shaky can be related to medication too, especially wrt antidrepressants.

1 Like

Yes!!! I get this when my symptoms are flaring. It affects my arms too. And when I’m really struggling, walking can feel as if I’m wading through treacle - my legs literally feel like lead. I used to have this all the time, but now it’s very obviously linked to any vestibular episodes. So strange how it impacts the body!

1 Like

I had shaky legs as well when I had my major vertigo attack last year. For me it was related to anxiety, i.e. not knowing what was wrong with me and fearing the worst.

I have since tried to strengthen my legs as much as possible by doing strength training in a special gym. The thinking behind this is that if I get another major attack, at least my legs are as strong as they can be.

2 Likes

For sure this was a symptom for me (I would call it “jelly legs”), and in fact one of the first symptoms ages before I knew I had a vestibular problem. I have found keeping very well hydrated has helped massively with this.

1 Like

I get this too. It’s absolutely to be expected. Vestibular disorders impair the vestibulo-spinal reflexes which means the wrong signals are being sent to your muscles. Increasing proprioceptive input helps, i.e. walking or hiking sticks, trailing your hand against a wall or railing. I also find it’s less likely to happen when walking in highly familiar places.

1 Like

Hi

So tried Amytriptyline but had to stop, was feeling very shaky/tremors in my legs and hands which is a known side effects. Now started Nortriptyline instead at 10mg to see if i can tolerate that.

Paid to see private vestibular physiotherapist yesterday and she’s confirmed I have balance issues. Which is true as I’ve never had spinning vertigo or nausea. So seems to indicate an inner ear problem.I’ve got some easy gaze stabilisation exercises to do. And Ive now got an NHS ENT appointment finally for next month. Really hoping I can make some progress.