The Migraine Associated Vertigo Community
Read our welcome post, user support wiki & visit our member recommended products page

Like switching the light on and off

I’ve been experiencing a new symptom here.
While I’m half asleep or half awake, eyes closed, I sometimes get the sensation that some one is switching the lights on and off, like really quickly.
But of course it’s dark in my room and no one is there.

Anyone has this too?

Hi BW,

I have had this, its like a light in your vision even though your eyes are closed?

Sometimes it last a few minutes, its like my own personal disco that nobody else can see… very weird!

I get this too. I also get flashy lights when I walk into a dark from from a light one/being outside. I’m so anxious and panicky at the mo…arrrggghghh

Yes a light even though my eyes are closed and I’m in the dark, and it goes on and off.

Sometimes I think I’m going bananas.

— Begin quote from "belgianwaffle"

Yes a light even though my eyes are closed and I’m in the dark, and it goes on and off.

Sometimes I think I’m going bananas.

— End quote

haha… glad its not just me! :shock:

For me it is like someone is running a flashlight past my eyes while they are closed. Once I even yelled (well–in that, I’m 1/2 asleep sort of “yell”) at my husband to “TURN OFF THE BATHROOM LIGHT FOR CRYIN OUT LOUD”

He wasn’t even home from his night out playing cards yet and the room was dark as it could be…

I’ve had it a few times since then. Doc says it is part of the occular migraine spectrum.

Such a picnic this thing is…

But my GOD how nice it is to know that there are other–real and not crazy people out there who are experiencing some of these exact and off the wall things!!!

You guys have NO IDEA how marvelously calming you’ve been to me over the past few months!!! Just knowing that I’m not the only one with these weird symptoms----down to the conversations about "bathroom dizzies :lol: " it is SOOOOOO great to have you here!!!

I get this too, when I switch the light out to goto sleep. It’s like a flashing and flicking for a while, until I drift off.

It’s like it’s some kind of (visual) indication of the ongoing migraine activity we have, and makes me wonder whether it’s there all the time - it’s just that with our eyes open we can’t see it…?!

Tony.

I have this too sometimes, it’s actually quite reassuring to know this is a MAV symptom, makes me not so paranoid about other things :wink:

1 Like

— Begin quote from "TeeCee"

I get this too, when I switch the light out to goto sleep. It’s like a flashing and flicking for a while, until I drift off.

It’s like it’s some kind of (visual) indication of the ongoing migraine activity we have, and makes me wonder whether it’s there all the time - it’s just that with our eyes open we can’t see it…?!

Tony.

— End quote

I wondered the same Tony… this must pretty much rubber stamp that we are suffering from MAV!

1 Like

A flashlight that’s it!! A private disco! All of that!

Glad I’m not alone in this.

I don’t have an official dx yet but it’s reassuring to read these replies.

@dolfnlvr: you’re bathroom story made me laugh :smiley:

1 Like

— Begin quote from "RichyF"

— Begin quote from "TeeCee"

Tony.

— End quote

I wondered the same Tony… this must pretty much rubber stamp that we are suffering from MAV!

— End quote

I reckon, although I know 100% for sure mine is MAV because I once (only once mind!) had a visual aura ‘blindspot’ that grew and grew and completely freaked me out, because I worried it was a Topamax side-effect - Tom @ DizzyTimes came to my rescue with a great link that showed ‘mock-up videos’ of the aura and one matched mine almost exactly!

But I find the visual flashing at night kinda eerie - like an old computer circuit with some lights attached that flicker showing strange electrical activity! [Guess I have an overactive imagination]! :wink:

1 Like

That’s really strange, I thought this was normal… I’ve had this from ever since I can remember (mostly as a teen)…

1 Like

— Begin quote from ____

You guys have NO IDEA how marvelously calming you’ve been to me over the past few months!!! Just knowing that I’m not the only one with these weird symptoms----down to the conversations about "bathroom dizzies " it is SOOOOOO great to have you here!!!

— End quote

@Dolfnlvr

To be honest, when I started that “doing business” thread I figured people would say to themselves, “guys a total nut-job.” Lo and behold, seems everyone on the board is falling off the commode!

Who knew! :shock:

Andy

1 Like

Yes! I get this too! I’m having it right now. I only see it in the light. But it looks like the lights are shorting out, like right before a power outage occurs.

1 Like

I’ve been getting this too. Sometimes I’ll also get a strobe like flashing in my peripheral vision. My MAV has really flared up lately so there’s that too.

1 Like

Yep, have had that as well. Like someones headlights briefly flashing in my peripheral, especially at the end of the day and getting into bed.

2 Likes

Sometimes I get the rare craving for chocolate and even though I know better I give in because well, life is short. I will without fail get flashing lights my dizziness will be off the mofoin’ charts. I was originally diagnosed with Meniere’s based off an ECOg, but I’m having far too many neurological symptoms. Or maybe I’m the lucky would who has both. Never had a full blown vertigo attack in the year I’ve been dealing with this. Thank GOD. Blessed :pray:.