Looking for advice/opinions on meds

Hi Linda. Your story sounds so familiar. Just wanted to chime in after noting your comment about your reluctance to walk. I had the same situation. On the advice of my doc, I got a walking stick that I now use most of the time. He said it was to provide my brain with additional information about my location in space, but I find it also gives me confidence, particularly when I’m walking on uneven pavement, in dim light or in unfamiliar locations. Another benefit is people often give me more space in crowded places, which really helps when I’m unsteady on my feet. Maybe it would help you, too. Just a thought.

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: new here too, just been reading new messages and trying to pluck up the courage

Yes, that’s a good idea. Thank you for the tip.

Welcome Linda. I had dreadful visual vertigo and fluorescent lights made my head foggy, feel unbalanced and nauseous I work in a hospital too so I know what a challenging environment it is!

My neurologist prescribed Amitriptyline and it has literally saved me, it took a while to find the right dose, and I’ve nearly been taking it for a year. It does take time, but it’s the only thing that has helped me. I still have symptoms but they are greatly reduced and I’m able to function.

Now that MAV is more controlled for me I’ve been able to notice food triggers. Yoghurt, aged cheese and chips with lots of artificial flavoring. These all make me have a relapse.

I hope this helps

3 Likes

Btw take a look at POLL: The Big Med Poll: What is helping/helped you?

Thanks Jess, it’s certainly reassuring to hear that there’s a chance of getting back to my regular routine. :grinning:

1 Like

My understanding of triggers is that they can be cumulative. So one food item may not bother you but the same food item combined with another and maybe barometric change could add up and push you over the edge. I have been doing the migraine diet as best I can for a month now and actually do feel quite a bit better. It’s not the whole answer but it can improve some symptoms.

5 Likes