Looking through rose-coloured glasses?

Hi all,
For many years I’ve thought about trying these glasses or at least trying the colored overlays, as I have dyslexia and wondered if it could be due to “Meares Irlen syndrome” as I’m very sensitive to florescent lighting before using meds.
I was thinking about us migrainures and our inability to deal with the florescent lights and computers that so easily mess with our heads.
Just found some info you might like to take a look at.
I also noticed that they are trailing them for people with “permanent head injury” due to car accidents ect: who are left with visual sensory issues and they are having some good results.
Worth a try?
jen

Pub med Abstract only
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/12014487

Optometrists frequently encounter patients with migraine and patients and practitioners sometimes suspect that visual stimuli or visual anomalies trigger headaches. There is a lack of evidence-based research on the issue, however. Some patients with migraine may be hypersensitive to visual stimuli, and it has been suggested that individually prescribed coloured filters might be an effective treatment to reduce symptoms from such stimuli. A recent randomised controlled trial showed such a treatment to be effective and the present paper reports on the optometric characteristics of the patients in this study. Twenty-one patients with neurologically diagnosed migraine were compared with 11 controls. No significant differences were found between the two groups with respect to refractive error, ocular pathology, colour vision, contrast sensitivity, accommodative function, strabismus and hyperphoria. The migraine group tended to be a little more exophoric, but by most criteria they were able to compensate for their exophoria as well as the control group. The migraine group were more prone to pattern glare than the controls (p = 0.004). The effects of precision tinted and control tinted lenses were investigated. The only variable to show a consistent and marked improvement with tinted lenses was pattern glare. The most likely mechanism for the benefit from individually prescribed coloured filters in migraine is the alleviation of cortical hyperexcitability (Wilkins et al. 1994) and associated pattern glare.

Here’s something about red lenses helping painful migraine
findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m … n13648117/

healthleader.uthouston.edu/a … -0706.html

The optometric correlates of migraine.
Harle DE, Evans BJ.
The Institute of Optometry, 56-62 Newington Causeway, London, UK. dharle@ioo.org.uk

Abstract
Migraine is a common, chronic, multi-factorial, neuro-vascular disorder typically characterised by recurrent attacks of unilateral, pulsating headache and autonomic nervous system dysfunction. Migraine may additionally be associated with aura; those focal neurological symptoms that may precede or sometimes accompany the headache. This review describes the optometric aspects of migraine headache. There have been claims of a relationship between migraine headaches and errors of refraction, binocular vision anomalies, pupil anomalies, visual field changes and pattern glare. The quality of the evidence for a relationship between errors of refraction and binocular vision and migraine is poor. The quality of the evidence to suggest a relationship between migraine headache and pupil anomalies, visual field defects and pattern glare is stronger. In particular the link between migraine headache and pattern glare is striking. The therapeutic use of precision-tinted spectacles to reduce pattern glare (visual stress) and to help some migraine sufferers is described.
PMID: 15315651 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1531 … stractplus

Tinted spectacles and visually sensitive migraine.
Wilkins AJ, Patel R, Adjamian P, Evans BJ.
Visual Perception Unit, University of Essex, Colchester, and Institute of Optometry, London, UK.
Comment in:
Cephalalgia. 2002 Nov;22(9):697-8.

Abstract only
A double-masked randomized controlled study with cross-over design compared the effectiveness of precision ophthalmic tints in the prevention of headache in migraine sufferers. Seventeen patients chose the colour of light that optimally reduced perceptual distortion of text and maximized clarity and comfort. They were later given glasses with spectral filters providing optimal colour under conventional white lighting (‘optimal’ tint) or glasses that provided a slightly different colour (‘control’ tint). The tints were supplied in random order, each for 6 weeks, separated by an interval of at least 2 weeks with no tints. Headache diaries showed that the frequency of headaches was marginally lower when the ‘optimal’ tint was worn, compared with the ‘control’. The trial extends to adults with migraine, the results of a previous double-masked study demonstrating, in children with reading difficulty, beneficial effects of precision tints in reducing symptom frequency. In the present study, however, the effects are suggestive rather than conclusive.
PMID: 12421156 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Optometric function in visually sensitive
migraine before and after treatment with tinted
spectacles
B. J. W. Evans1,2, R. Patel1 and A. J. Wilkins3
essex.ac.uk/psychology/overl … 30-142.pdf

Headache. 1991 Sep;31(8):533-6.

**The use of tinted glasses in childhood migraine.
Good PA, Taylor RH, Mortimer MJ.
Department of Ophthalmology, University of Birmingham, England.**Abstract

20 children with clinically diagnosed migraine were asked to wear either a rose coloured tint or density matched blue tint for a period of 4 months. The frequency, duration and intensity of migraine attacks were recorded, together with the amount of visually provoked beta activity in the EEG. After one month’s wear all the children in the study revealed an initial improvement in headache frequency. However, only those children wearing rose tints sustained this improvement up to 4 months, when the mean headache frequency had improved from 6.2 per month to 1.6 per month. The headache frequency of those children wearing blue tints revealed no overall improvement after 4 months. The improvements in headache frequency in children wearing rose tints correlated with a reduction in visually provoked beta activity.
PMID: 1960058 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

Are you curious about Irlen Syndrome, scotopic sensitivity, dyslexia,asperger’s syndrome or migraine headaches.
I am here to offer positive feedback regarding my personal success utilizing Irlen tinted lenses for the dyslexia I never realized I had until I was 56.
squidoo.com/irlen

paper on the subject is essex.ac.uk/psychology/overlays/OPO22.PDF. :smiley:

Hi Jen,

Here is something that I posted here last year. Since then, I only occasionally wear the glasses, but can say that they are beneficial when I do as it changes the glare. Hope this helps!

Since some here have noted the problems they are having with artifical light, I thought I would share some information about a special tint used in glasses that is supposed to help those with photophobia and migraines. I learned about it from people who have other eye conditions that cause light sensitivity. The University of Utah has found that a tint called FL-41 has helped some with migraines. Here is how they describe it:

"FL-41 is a rose-colored filter that we have found to be useful in patients with migraine headaches, blepharospasm, and other light-sensitive conditions. FL-41 was first described in a research project that took place in Birmingham, England. In this study, children with migraine headaches wore FL-41 filtered spectacles. The researchers found that wearing FL-41 improved the light sensitivity in these children and also the frequency and severity of their migraine headaches. Since that time, we have successfully been using FL-41 filtered lenses at the Moran Eye Center to treat these and other conditions.

Aided by funding from the Benign Essential Blepharospasm Research Foundation, we have found that blepharospasm patients are more light sensitive than people who do not have blepharospasm. We have also found that when a patient with blepharospasm has their light sensitivity treated, their blepharospasm symptoms are improved.

Recently we have tested FL-41 filtered lenses head-to-head against conventional gray sunglasses and plain, rose-colored tinted spectacles. We have found that almost all patients prefer wearing FL-41 filtered spectacles.

For more information, contact Mr. Charles Swallow at the Moran Eye Center Lab, 75 N. Medical Drive, Salt Lake City, UT 84132 or at (801) 585-7800"

You can also go to their FAQ webpage which provides more info and also has a link at the top of the page for Research History and (personal anecodotes). You can send in your own glasses to have the tint added or have them make glasses for you, as in you send them your prescription and they make the glasses with the tint (costs more obviously). They will even make “fake” glasses (meaning non-prescription ones). I bought a pair of non-prescription ones and sent them to them to have the tint added. I wear the glasses occasionally inside and find they help, but you have to get used to the “pinkness” of the tint, as it changes what you are seeing obviously. I haven’t worn them enough to be able to tell you if they are totally beneficial, for I am trying to only use them when I need to, as I want to just let my eyes adjust naturally. However, I do recommend these over wearing sunglasses inside, even if not dark sunglasses, for other research literature notes that your eyes will get used to wearing sunglasses and you will end up needing them if you wear them indoors (as they aren’t made for that purpose.) The service from the U of Utah’s Eye Center was excellent (I called them first and questioned them on everything!) and the turn around time to receive the glasses from them was very reasonable, plus they paid for the shipping.

Just thought some of you might want to know. I am not promoting these folk, but can say that I had a good experience with them and it may be worthwhile for some to get this special tint.

Here is the web address for their FAQ page:
uuhsc.utah.edu/MoranEyeCenter/pa … 1_faq.html

Best, Bonnie

Wow Thanks Bonnie,
I’m going to check this out for myself to see if it helps, I’ve always had a problem with any fluro lights Tv’s computer screens.
My mum use to say , when I was little that I’d be a perfect kid until she’d take me shopping and out of the blue for “no reason” , I’d just throw a tantrum, she noted this happened under fluro light mostly.
Also, I remember being fine before class, then 4 minutes of being in class I’d just zone out.
When I was 2o , I was diagnosed dyslexic.
Print has always appeared to move and wave across the page, shifting and morphing all over the place.
Wonder if this could be ireln syndrome.

I’ll just repost this link if you don’t mind as it’s not working.
uuhsc.utah.edu/MoranEyeCenter/pa … FL-41.html

I tell you, I’d be willing to try almost anything if it rid me from migraine or even helped a little.

cheers bonnie thanks
jen xxx

I actually got the glasses, so I can speak from experience.

I got the special glasses from the University of Utah Moran Eye Center, and I have been wearing them for about three months. I bought regular simple frames with the most basic simple lenses without any anti-glare or other add-ons. I sent them to University of Utah with a check for $40 and they returned the glasses in about 8 days.

The back story is that I have had vertigo/disequillibrum for 8 months, and about 4 months into the ride, I started getting classical migraines. So I started taking magnesium and I ordered these glasses, at the same time.

My verdict = I love them. I wear them all day until night time. I wear them at work. At first people asked why I was wearing shades at work, but once I told them what is was for, they were fine with it. They are not very dark, I am a lawyer and I can still read documents while wearing the glasses. People can still see your eyes, so the glasses are not off-putting. Since I have been wearing the glasses and taking magnesium, I have not gotten a single crippling headache. For the last three months, I have only had two small light headaches that were wiped out with two Advil. Honestly, I don’t know if it is the glasses or the magnesium, but something has been stopping my headaches.

Note that the glasses did not – repeat DID NOT – eliminate the dizziness. They simply make it easier to function, put less stress on the brain and eyes. I think they have been great, and I will be ordering another pair. I now wear them more than I wear my regular expensive glasses with anti-glare and special features.

Since I was a boy, I have complained that lights were too strong – I was always standing with my back to the sun, taking a seat in a restaurant that was outside of the light, etc. I have light blue eyes. If that is true of you as well, I suspect that you will like these glasses.

So I can totally recommend these glasses.

Interesting!
Looks like a trip to the optho, might be worth it.
thanks for your input, I really appreciate it longshort.
I have tried magnesium, it does help my migraines as well.
jen :slight_smile:
xx

Thanks for sharing your story, longshort.

Jen,
I would add that the Univ of Utah is using the special tint, not just any old pink tint, so that in itself is important. Also, you can tell them the percentage of tint that you want. I think they normally only recommend around 35% - I got 5% more than what they suggested and found it a little more than I needed, but I guess it just depends on your needs. If you call them they’ll discuss it with you.

And yes, they’ll make any kind of glasses you need, adding it to prescription, or sunglasses, or “fake” glasses like mine. You can send yours in, or they’ll make a pair for you. If you send yours in, it is cheaper (the $40). I believe they cannot add the anti-glare to it however.

Never the less, at the least, I think it can help those of us with light sensitivity (which is what I bought mine for as I work under flourescent lights). It may also help with migraines.

And I too take magnesium (along with B-2) which I think helps a bit! :wink:

Best, Bonnie

Thanks for the info guys I am going to contact the university to see if I can get a pair of safety glasses for work with the tint. My job is full of florecent lights and they cause havoc on my system. I started wearing tinted safety glasses but everyone seems to make a comment about them, hopefully these ones aren’t as obvious.

Thanks so much Bonnie,
Sounds like a pretty cheap investment really.
can’t hurt to try them.

jen
xx