Magnesium threonate or glycinate ?

Regarding magnesium supplements we have both threonate and glycinate here. From the research we were able to do online I understand that the daily dose of go to magnesium is between 500 to 600 MG migraines and both are good for the brain and are absorbed well.
What we unable to figure is the following:
Is one form of magnesian more effective than the other treating vertigo and vm ?
Can you take threonate and glycinate together and get half magnesium intake from each? Or do you need to only take from form of magnesium ?

1 Like

I assume the magnesium is intended as part of the migraine treatment plan, yes? If so from all I have read the best to take is Magnesium Oxide. All the different magnesiums are quite different it seems. For example Glycinate is recommended for calming/anxiety and to treat hot flushes from memory. I tried Glycinate and as soon as I hit the target dose of 400mg daily I experienced the most intense vertigo I have ever had.

https://americanmigrainefoundation.org/resource-library/magnesium/

Interesting I’ve read its the worst because its hard for your body to absorb. I’ve tried many forms, including Malate, Orotate, Oxide, Bicarbonate, Citrate, and Glycinate. My favorite is Bicarbonate and Citrus, because they also seem to help me stay regular. But ever one is different. I use this brand daily:

https://www.naturalvitality.com/

They sell it at Costco here in the U.S.

I don’t think any are more effective at treating vertigo and VM. I don’t think there is any problem mixing them, just seems unnecessary to me though. Pick the one that you can tolerate and stick with it - I think that’s the key.

I was shocked to find some many different forms existed and according to the Applied School of Functional Medicine all with very different intended applications. I researched it thoroughly before trying M. Glycinate not that it did me any good. I still couldn’t tolerate it but there. You can
but try.
https://schoolafm.com/ws_clinical_know/client-relief-magnesium-to-the-rescue/

Has anyone actually felt worse when starting Magnesium?

I have been taking Magnesium Glycinate for the last 6 months mainly because it is supposed to ‘enhance sleep, improve memory and ease anxiety’. I take 2 capsules in the evening and it appears to have helped stop my feet from ‘burning’ at night which was keeping me awake - of course it could be pure coincidence. Here is a link to an article that my daughter sent which gives some info re some of the main forms of magnesium: Magnesium: Symptoms, Forms and Benefits | Goodness Lover . The article doesn’t mention Bicarbonate and Citrus as mentioned by Eric @ander454 - I am going to investigate further as I could do with something to ‘keep me regular’ too!

1 Like

That’s Carbonate you need then. That’s the cheapie one you find in all the health food outlets. And included in most combination supplements.

1 Like

I take both. I take magnesium threonate in the morning and mag glycinate at night. They both work great for me.

That’s fascinating. How did you end up with such an arrangement. Was this your own idea or the medics might I enquire. And incidentally why are you taking both. For two different symptoms maybe.

My neurologist loves magnesium for migraine. He told me I could take whatever type works for me-- although he recommended mag glycinate or citrate because those are more bioavailable than magnesium oxide. I did my own research and decided on mag glycinate since it is less likely to cause GI distress than citrate. I also like that mag glycinate is calming, which is great for my already excitable migraine brain and it also helps me to fall asleep at night. When I heard about Magnesium Threonate, I had actually been wanting to add in some magnesium for day time and this type sounded like a good fit. It isn’t sedating, and apparently is the only form that can cross the blood/brain barrier. It helps me a lot with brain fog. This is just what works for me and what I gathered from my own research. I take 144mg Mag Threonate in the morning and 480mg Mag Glycinate before bed. Sometimes I will take another 120mg glycinate if I have an attack. This is just the dosage and types that work for me, I know some people need less, some people need more, and different people have different preferences of which type. Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Thanks for going to the trouble of explaining. I’m sure your detailed explanation will help many others who read it in the future too which is really why I asked. I found Magnesium Glycinate caused me to experience some terrible vertigo - BPPV type stuff - as soon as I hit my target dose of 400mg and stopped taking it but as you say everybody is different.

1 Like

I agree. Magnesium Glycinate is calming. I take it at night along with my other ‘calming’ med pizofiten. I sleep like a log for far too many hours. I honestly believe that sleep helped me recover. Once I stopped the insomnia the chronic migraine and/or propranolol was causing, and switched to pizo, I started feeling better.

1 Like

Shin Beh in his book “Victory over vestibular migraine” recommends magnesium malate, glycinate, gluconate or L-threonate (p.106). In his view magnesium oxide “has a high magnesium content per weight, but is the least bioavailable” (p.106). He also states that "magnesium chloride is very effective for migraine prevention when administered topically’ (p. 107).

I personally take a magnesium tablet which has magnesium glycinate, magnesium citrate, magnesium amino acid chelate and magnesium aspartate tetrahydrate. Total magnesium in one tablet is 200 mg. But I am trying to find a supplement here in Australia which has some of the magnesium recommended by Dr. Beh to replace the one I am currently taking.

I also use a magnesium spray (magnesium chloride) for my neck and I am very happy with this.

2 Likes

First I want to say that I love the name Katharina. It sounds melodically in my brain.

All of these magnesium supplements are so confusing to me and I’m not sure this thread had cleared any of the fog. In addition to having VM & BPPV, I also have neuropathy and my feet are burning right this instant. For that reason I would like to try the Magnesium Glycinate, but I like the idea of the Magnesium Threonate crossing the blood brain barrier. That seems to make more sense to me. And what is this about applying it topically? Is there a cream that you apply to your head? How does that help.

More information and research is going to be required, but I love the idea of being my own advocate. I figure if I don’t, no one else will.

1 Like

Suggest you read up through the link I posted earlier from the school of Functional Applied Medication. From memory that gives more details of which to use for what. Of course that may be what you’ve already done.

When it comes to applying ‘topically’ are they talking Epsom Salts? Baths? Feet Soaks? Maybe …

@Onandon03 Helen, that is my question. I got it from Katharina’s post and am just as confused about it.

Thank you for the compliment re the name Katharina.

The magnesium I apply topically is called “Magnesium spray, concentrated magnesium”. The company that makes it is called “MgBody” from Queensland, Australia. I spray it on my neck and shoulders and then rub it in. I am not sure how exactly it works, but it relaxes my neck and shoulder muscles. Before my vertigo attacks I sometimes used it on the sole of my feet and it helped me to go to sleep.

1 Like

I found this online. It is a blend of the various forms of magnesium that are mentioned here. I’m tempted to order a bottle and give it a try. It’s $20 US for 120 capsules.

EDIT: Didn’t forget the link, just don’t have privileges to do that.

It’s called Purely Optimal Magnesium Complex

One thing I wonder about is magnesium like many other supplements, needs a catalyst supplement to help make it usable by our bodies. B12 is an example. Folic acid needs B12 in order for our bodies to fully absorb it. I wonder if magnesium isn’t the same way.

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on this one.

I hadn’t heard of Magnesium L-Threonate before but am going to look into it. Apparently someone is doing a clinical trial to see whether it might be effective for dementia: Magnesium L-Threonate for the Enhancement of Learning and Memory in People With Dementia - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov

https://www.purelyoptimal.com/products/magnesium-complex

This it? Or similar Eric.

If you do try it and approve we can set it up in User Recommended section and the funds to run the site may ultimately benefit.

The ‘topically’ applied stuff. Transdermal. Works well. I remember being given Volterol for painful shoulder/elbow? Years ago. The tablets gave me GERD so the Doc prescribed gel. Gave me even worse GERD and what’s more it came on twice as quick. Just shows how successful transdermal is. Not that that was quite what I thought that at the time.:grinning:

1 Like

That’s it. I’ve ordered a bottle through Amazon. I’ll let you know what I think once I’ve taken them for a while.

1 Like