Magnesium

Hi,

I’ve tried Magnesium 400 mg a day for 1 week now. Coincidence or not I’m feeling worse recently than normal so definitely not helping yet. How long did you find it took to help you, those who did have relief from Magnesium supplements?

thanks.

I’ve been taking 400mg of citrate for a couple years now. I’m not sure how much it helps, but I don’t feel like risking making things worse by testing it out. My guess is that it would take several weeks to make a noticeable difference, given that it would take awhile to increase your body’s levels.

Make sure your vitamins are not full of fillers, etc. I buy freeda vitamins…I am, in no way, affiliated with them. Just one vitamin company I can tolerate.

I’ve been reading up on Magnesium lately… From what I recall, the studies that showed its effectiveness in treating migraine had folks taking ~600 mg/day, and it was for 3 or 4 months. My understanding is that it takes quite a while for it to build up in your system. That said, one of the articles I read (sorry - I didn’t bookmark them, so no links) mentioned that magnesium works similarly to calcium channel blockers. As the only thing I’ve really found helpful after 2+ years of testing out meds is Verapamil (a calcium channel blocker), I’m thinking I’m ready to give Magnesium another go - for longer and at a higher dosage… I’ve been playing around with it for a few days now, and though it shouldn’t (I suppose) have an immediate effect, I have found that if I take it with calcium and d (I read somewhere that those 3 work best together) it actually makes my head worse. So for now, I’m sticking with magnesium alone.

yes magnesium makes me feel like crap as well. not sure why

Mg doesn’t seem to bother me. I’ve been taking 550 broken into to doses, but recently added ~ 50% to counteract constipation due to Ca taken to fight osteopenia.

Yep almost 3 weeks now on magnesium at 400mg, 3 of the worst weeks ive felt in a long time, after reading your comments, wondering whether to try pushing up or just cut my losses…

Is taking it with calcium a must? I’ve just been taking 400mg of citrate nightly (it relaxes me quite a bit), but no calcium.

Not a must form anything I’ve read. I take the calcium not for anything MAV, but because I’ve had bone loss and am at risk of more, not due to migraine meds but to tegretol.

I also feel much worse on the magnesium. Is this normal? Should I push through or give it up? Any ideas?
It is clearly doing something, so maybe that is a good thing?..

I took it for 3 months and have been off of it for 6 weeks with no difference either way actually. I don’t think it helps at all, but maybe doesn’t hurt overall. I just had to cut out non-essentials to save $$$ and this one had to go.