Mamabear is angry -- neotame

The kid figured out that aspartame is a significant trigger for him. Chewing a piece of sugar-free gum was enough to set him all the way back to where he started – sick, dizzy, unable to tolerate sound or light or motion. Absolutely miserable.

It could be worse. Aspartame isn’t all that hard to avoid. You can check the label for aspartame, or NutraSweet, or for the warning about PKU.

But there’s a relatively new artificial sweetener we’d never heard of. Neotame. It’s related to aspartame, but much, much sweeter. And because it’s so sweet, it’s used in small amounts. And as long as it’s less than 1% of the product, it doesn’t have to show up on the labels at all! No PKU warning.

And now the USDA has decided that Neotame can be included in certified organic foods!

Here’s one article. If you google neotame, you can find a lot more.
foodfreedom.wordpress.com/2010/1 … nic-foods/

As far as I can tell, it’s impossible for a consumer to avoid neotame unless you eat absolutely no prepared foods or prepared ingredients whatsoever. It can be included to amp up the sweetness of ANYTHING, but not listed on the label.

Does anyone else here have a problem with aspartame or neotame? How do you avoid it?

Mamabear

Hi Mamabear
I’ve never heard of neotame…that’s pretty spooky that it can be included in so many food products. I used to get a bit dizzy from my sugar-free/aspartame gum and a few other things, but I didn’t realize it at the time. I don’t think it affects me now that I’ve been on medication for almost 2 months now. Aspartame has been singled out for years as the cause of all sorts of things by the natural community, and it is listed as a possible migraine trigger in migraine resource books, etc.
Good your son identified a trigger on his own so that you are not the “bad guy” here!! How is he doing otherwise?
Gail

I have a problem with artificial sweeteners in general. I don’t know that I’ve ever had neotame, but with the results I’ve had with the rest, I would assume that I would react to neotame as well. If they are allowed to hide it, then I don’t know that I have even been avoiding it. I don’t eat “sweet” food in general, so I am guessing that I haven’t had it.

Hi Mamabear,

I did a google and many of the articles were reproductions of the one that you linked to - so I went to the USDA site and after a bit of hunting found the list of "Nonagricultural (nonorganic) substances allowed as ingredients in or on processed products labeled as “organic” or “made with organic (specified ingredients or food group(s)).”

ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/te … 4.6&idno=7
and
ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text/te … 4.7&idno=7

I don’t see neotame on it? unless it qualifies as a “Nutrient vitamins and minerals, in accordance with 21 CFR 104.20, Nutritional Quality Guidelines For Foods.” which I doubt??