MAV and driving or riding in a car

My biggest problem with MAV is driving or riding in a car going over 45 mph, anyone else have these troubles

Actually my best activity is driving. Others find that driving is one of their worst activities.

1 Like

Interesting. Can I enquire what the problem is exactly. Motion sickness. I get motion sensitivity and very very car sick. Common with migraine and balance disorders. Or something different.

I feel like I need to stop because I lose all equilibrium

Thanks for that. Oh, I understand now. Obviously your vestibular system is very hyper sensitive. It needs both your feet on firm ground and your eyes fixed on a static point to keep you balanced so the car isn’t a great place to be at present. I used to be so sensitive to motion just sitting in it whilst the fuel tank filled made me nauseous and ten times more dizzy. Changing to shoes with a narrower base will do it too. Sensitivity to motion is common with MAV. I did 20 miles in car as passenger the other day and could only just stand when I got out, no difference with car speed. It’s distance with me, currently that’s almost twice my usual stint.

I would be pretty careful driving in this condition. Also, you may not be insured. Can you find alternative means of transport? At least until things stabilise …

1 Like

That is a good point, and yes I do have other means of trans

1 Like

Good to hear, but actually I find public transport a nice distraction. People watching can be fun :slight_smile:

I think of public transportation as more of a vestibular exercise…

1 Like

Yes that’s very true.

All kinds of continuous stimuli. Different lighting … LOTS of walking. All much more healthy than car travel, but not always an option for some people … depends where you live.

I have to agree…i was like a drunked getting off my 4 bus journeys to and from work…it was horrendous
Jo x

Going to chime in, when I first got this condition about a month or 3 months in I couldn’t do above 70ish MPH (USA) or I’d get dizzy after getting out of the vehicle. It was really noticeable if I did 80. At a stoplight my car would feel like the front end was lifting or I was bucking back and forth even with my foot on the brake. (a real mind $&@!)

After my relapse in March 2018 that same occurrence happened again where I couldn’t exceed a certain limit or it’d aggravate my vestibular motion.

As time went on it got better where I could exceed 70ish if need be, less motion sensitivity issues in the car after stopping or even being at a stoplight.

Above 70 you got things like speeding ticket to worry about in addition to MAV in California:P

4 Likes

Hahah that west coast Cali life.
Speaking of, I heard the weather is pretty consistent out there-- how’s the weather/pressure with effecting you?

In september it got chilly in the evenings. My mav picked it up before i could.

Bummer. But mostly consistent?