Maxalt?

Hi Friends,

My friend read an article about Maxalt and how great it is for Migraines and serotonin. I know it’s a triptan drug but can’t recall seeing it on here. I think most are on nortrip and amtrip.

Has anyone tried this and had success?

Thanks!

I tried it some years ago when I was in bed for three weeks due to vertigo. Unfortunately, it did absolutely nothing for me. Can’t recall all the details now but is that the one that ‘melts’ on your tongue?

Brenda

I’ve had this before. I think it’s similar to imigran, but it melts on your tongue instead of you having to swallow a tablet. I take it when my (headache) migraines are making me vomit and I can’t keep an imigran tablet down. As lots of other people on here seem to say as well, I find these tablets help with the headache, but not at all with balance issues.

Maxalt is an abortive med, so it wouldn’t be used for long-term treatment of migraines. I used to take it when I got migraines, but when I was nursing switched to Imitrex at the advise of the lactation consultants.

Interestingly though, Imitrex does take away my dizziness when I have migraine headaches and it will last for a good day or two. But an abortive wouldn’t be a good solution for your MAV symptoms long-term.

Yes, triptans/sumatriptans do impact serotonin, which is why the medication pamphlets warn of serotonin syndrome. However, this is incredibly rare.

I know this is an old post, but I just a story about how this drug has been shown to be much more effective for motion sickness in people who have migraines who take it before a triggering event. Could be useful to some:

— Begin quote from ____

Rizatriptan reduces vestibular-induced motion sickness in migraineurs.
Furman JM, Marcus DA, Balaban CD.
Source
Department of Otolaryngology, Eye and Ear Institute, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 203 Lothrop Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213, USA. furmanjm@upmc.edu

Abstract
A previous pilot study suggested that rizatriptan reduces motion sickness induced by complex vestibular stimulation. In this double-blind, randomized, placebo-controlled study we measured motion sickness in response to a complex vestibular stimulus following pretreatment with either rizatriptan or a placebo. Subjects included 25 migraineurs with or without migraine-related dizziness (23 females) aged 21-45 years (31.0 ± 7.8 years). Motion sickness was induced by off-vertical axis rotation in darkness, which stimulates both the semicircular canals and otolith organs of the vestibular apparatus. Results indicated that of the 15 subjects who experienced vestibular-induced motion sickness when pretreated with placebo, 13 showed a decrease in motion sickness following pretreatment with rizatriptan as compared to pretreatment with placebo (P < 0.02). This significant effect was not seen when subjects were exposed to more provocative vestibular stimulation. We conclude that the serotonin agonist, rizatriptan, reduces vestibular-induced motion sickness by influencing serotonergic vestibular-autonomic projections.

— End quote