Med Side-Effects or MAV. Opinions really welcomed

Thanks to everyone for this forum…it’s wonderful.

I’m 2 weeks on Verapamil. Started at 120mg ER and am now up to 360mg ER. Yes, I bumped up the med a little quicker than prescribed. I take 240mg at night and 120mg around lunch. I guess I’m pretty desperate to get to what my Dr considers to be the therapeutic dose for me.

I feel like shit. Sorry for the language. It’s feels like MAV, all the same symptoms I’ve had since Nov 2011, but of course I’m questioning myself. If someone asked me, is it the new medication or MAV, I would say MAV.

I had about 6 weeks right before I was diagnosed where I thought I was getting better (not 100% but it’s all relative isn’t it). The night before my appt I turned to say something to my friend and BAM, it hit. I kept telling myself, “no, nope, this isn’t happening again, I won’t let it happen again,” but it did. I had the resolve and energy to deal with it for about 2 days, but all symptoms are back full force.

The hardest thing is that during the 6 weeks were I thought I was doing better, I committed to doing stuff, which of course, yet again, I’ve had to back out of. This is such an isolating, insidious freakin’ disease, disorder, condition…I don’t even know what to call it.

All that and here’s the question…
What are everyone’s thoughts about Med side-effects and how they might mimic MAV?

Thanks, and thanks for letting me bitch,
Judy

Judy, you didn’t tell us what symptoms you are experiencing!

My understanding of Verapamil leads me to be skeptical that it would be giving you side effects that would mimmick MAV. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. Verapamil’s most common side effects are constipation and problems related to low-blood pressure, but people can always have odd reactions to medications.

Maybe some other people who have taken Verapamil can chime in. The only thing Verapamil did to me was constipate the heck out of me and lower my blood pressure. Other than that it didn’t do a thing to my migraines.

— Begin quote from “JamieH”

Judy, you didn’t tell us what symptoms you are experiencing!

My understanding of Verapamil leads me to be skeptical that it would be giving you side effects that would mimmick MAV. But that doesn’t mean it isn’t possible. Verapamil’s most common side effects are constipation and problems related to low-blood pressure, but people can always have odd reactions to medications.

Maybe some other people who have taken Verapamil can chime in. The only thing Verapamil did to me was constipate the heck out of me and lower my blood pressure. Other than that it didn’t do a thing to my migraines.

— End quote

Symptoms: A constant state of movement. I often tell people it’s like being in the belly of a boat 24/7 or being seasick all the time. During acute state, cognitive issues (trouble concentrating, reading, word recall, etc). Huge balance issues, sometimes feeling psychically stuck like I can’t move. Daily headaches mostly in neck and back of head. Things that are a struggle everyday…showering, walking, going anywhere with florescent lighting especially grocery stores, being in loud places, restaurants, etc. Seeing things out of the corner of my eye that aren’t there. Almost always symptoms get’s worse as the day progresses.

So far BP isn’t terribly low, no constipation

Thanks Jamie…you always seem to be very helpful on here,
Judy

Judy, all of your symptoms sound pretty much textbook MAV. I am not a Verapamil expert as I stopped taking it rather quickly due to constipation, but I would be rather surprised if Verapamil is doing this to you. I would say it is more likely you are having a bad MAV flare up and the Verapamil is simply not helping to stop it.

If anyone else on the forum has had Verapamil actually trigger MAV symptoms hopefully they will speak up and say something, but I don’t know of that to be a profile for side-effects of Verapamil. Unlike some other migraine drugs, Verapamil shouldn’t be screwing with your brain directly outside of just lowering blood pressure, so it theoretically shouldn’t be screwing with you this badly.

That being said, migraine people have been known to react badly to small changes in just about anything, so I guess it is possible that you are reacting to the drop in blood pressure. You could check with your doc and see what he/she says.

BTW I had almost all the same symptoms as you, just on a less intense scale. I usually woke mostly without symptoms and then would progressively get a lot of the things you mention as i was exposed to artificial light throughout the day, though It doesn’t sound like I got them as badly as you do. Took me months to figure out that it was artificial light that was my trigger. Verapamil and Nortriptyline didn’t help me, but Topamax did, so keep trying meds till you find one the helps out!!

I took Verapamil years ago and stopped it because it made me a lot dizzier.

Christine

— Begin quote from “JamieH”

Judy, all of your symptoms sound pretty much textbook MAV. I am not a Verapamil expert as I stopped taking it rather quickly due to constipation, but I would be rather surprised if Verapamil is doing this to you. I would say it is more likely you are having a bad MAV flare up and the Verapamil is simply not helping to stop it.

If anyone else on the forum has had Verapamil actually trigger MAV symptoms hopefully they will speak up and say something, but I don’t know of that to be a profile for side-effects of Verapamil. Unlike some other migraine drugs, Verapamil shouldn’t be screwing with your brain directly outside of just lowering blood pressure, so it theoretically shouldn’t be screwing with you this badly.

That being said, migraine people have been known to react badly to small changes in just about anything, so I guess it is possible that you are reacting to the drop in blood pressure. You could check with your doc and see what he/she says.

BTW I had almost all the same symptoms as you, just on a less intense scale. I usually woke mostly without symptoms and then would progressively get a lot of the things you mention as i was exposed to artificial light throughout the day, though It doesn’t sound like I got them as badly as you do. Took me months to figure out that it was artificial light that was my trigger. Verapamil and Nortriptyline didn’t help me, but Topamax did, so keep trying meds till you find one the helps out!!

— End quote

Thanks again Jamie,
Flare is a great word. My flare started before I started taking Verapamil. I would guess though that I’m not the only one who wonders, or has wondered, if any little change is making MAV worse.
The good thing about being dx is I know I haven’t lost my mind and reading stuff hear really helps me not feel so crazy.
I’ll give Verapamil a month and then explore other options. Topamax doesn’t feel like an option to me because of how my mother reacted to it, but it probably won’t take much for me to try anything.
Thanks,
Jud

— Begin quote from “cmoc”

I took Verapamil years ago and stopped it because it made me a lot dizzier.

Christine

— End quote

Hi Christine,
Was it a different kind of dizziness?
Thanks
Judy

I wonder if it’s a MAV flare-up due to a reaction to the Verapamil… I think we can all agree that MAV brains do not like change. At all. And going up to 360 in two weeks is a lot to take. My doc had me start at 180 for a full month before I kicked it up to 240… So it’s possible that while your side-effects aren’t from the Verapamil, in a chemical sense, it could be that it’s thrown your MAV into overdrive just from having such a significant change in such a short time-period.

Though, that said, I’ve been on 80 mg three times a day since January and don’t have any noticeable side effects. I tried switching to 240 XR once a day a couple months ago, and was TONS dizzier within 30 minutes of taking it - couldn’t even drive to go to work and was miserable all day. Nixed that idea. Decided to stick with 80x3. I think the 240, even though it was XR, was just too much, dosage-wise, for my system to handle. Could be 360 is just too much for you.

I’d try going back down on the dosage and see if that has any effect.

Hi Beachgal

So sorry to hear about all this. We really understand. Your symptoms do sound like textbook MAV.

I have taken Verapamil twice in my MAV “journey” (of two years, sudden onset) and am currently taking it. It’s been 6-9 months each time with a gap of another 6- 9 months where I tried a) nothing, b) other meds explored by others on the site. Dose 180 mg. Neither neuro wants me to go higher.

Have found it pretty easy - it hasnt dropped my already low bp or made me dizzy (except for the few days I have accidentally taken a double dose when it definitely does spin things out! :roll: ). But that definitely feels like blood pressure not boat rocking…

It has reduced the severity and frequency of migraines which was a big improvement BUT to be honest not much impact on the dizzies, constant moving, fluro sensitivity etc. Better than nothing is the agreement I have with the neuro after this weeks visit!

So while am not a dr, would maybe wonder that it is still MAV hitting you not the verapamil?? maybe slow it down a little? My only other comment is that both neuros have wanted me to take the verapamil (SR) in the morning only which looks a little different to the pattern they have you on…?

fingers crossed for you… wendy

PS yes re the constipation but with a diet tweak or two is easier to live with than SEs of some other meds.

Judy, it was the same type of dizziness I get with MAV, only worse. Not full blown vertigo attacks, just the daily stuff.

Christine