Medication to treat Anxiety and Dizziness?

Hello. I’m new here. I was diagnosed with Vestibular Mismatch Disorder. I’ve done Vestibular physical therapy and I’m currently on Prozac and Buspar. The Prozac is for Depression. The Busbar was added recently to help with anxiety and dizziness. It’s been almost a month now. Neither of my symptoms has improved. Any thoughts on medication to treat Anxiety and dizziness?

1 Like

Welcome!

Perhaps it’s a language thing but not heard of that diagnosis before, interesting!

Amitriptyline is often prescribed for both anxiety and dizziness.

However, I’m not sure if it’s contradicted with Prozac which is a very strong antidepressant. You’d need to speak to your doctor or pharmacist.

I should warn you though: being on too much medication will make it harder to work out what is helping with what and at what dosage. Also be careful not to overwhelm the brain and give it chance to compensate naturally. You should be especially wary of drugs like Prozac which are very difficult to come off of.

Hi and welcome.

‘Vestibular Mismatch Disorder’ eh? That’s a new one on me too but I rather like it. Certainly a useful term when explaining our condition to friends and relatives. Very descriptive. Does what it says on the tin as they say.

Anxiety tends to go hand in hand with vestibular conditions. Often the two form a vicious circle. One driving the other. Not possible from your brief intro to be sure but it appears to me you may just have been experiencing the anxiety/depression before the Vestibular Mismatch Disorder started. Whichever way it’s always a good idea to take a close look at possible lifestyle changes ie stress reduction, alcohol consumption etc which may help both conditions and thereby contribute towards a better quality of life,

From all I’ve read over the years I think you will find with research that Venlafaxine could be the drug you are looking for. It treats both conditions and by Searching on this site, or elsewhere, you will find many people have had much success with it as a preventative. Suggest you discuss this with your doctor. I trust he/she is of a modern mindset and doesn’t object to patient suggestions. Unfortunately many do but it is certainly worth a try. Do bear in mind whichever drug you eventually end up trialling that most certainly take longer than one month to become fully effective. Particularly with antidepressants being used for migraine preventatives textbooks state they can take up to 3-4 months to give maximum relief.

1 Like

I was prescribed Propranolol for anxiety and dizziness, it’s absolutely changed my life!

2 Likes

Hi Louise! Glad to hear propanalol is working. I wanted to ask how long it took to work as I was browsing the forum and found you initially felt like the beta blockers were not doing anything

Hi,
I’ve had VM for 6 years so it’s been a long time since I was trialling beta blockers for the first time. Back then I expected a full recovery, but now my expectations are a lot lower and I’m happy with any improvement. Last year I had really bad anxiety which made my VM worse, so I noticed a difference straight away with Propranalol because it helps anxiety too. I’m also on amitriptyline and the mini pill. I’m not cured but I’m much better than I was

2 Likes