Melatonin Supplements

Has anyone had any success with taking these before bed for sleep and migraine reduction? I read on a few sites that taking additional melatonin is bad for migraine sufferers but then others that said it’s good.

Hi Tamsha,

I have only used melatonin for jet lag and for that I have found it very good.

Vic

It helped me with my sleep when it was disrupted…but then I stopped it since I didn’t need it anymore. Melatonin is made from the same source as serotonin, so if you are lacking in one, quite possibly you could be lacking in another. I find 5HTP a good supplement as well.
Kelley

Hi there,

I used Melatonin every night when I was on Topiramate in order to counter the insomnia it caused me. and I certainly didn’t experience any negative effects from it personally - in fact it was a total life saver for me.

My gut response would be that it has no particular effect either way on migraine directly, but that by helping to overcome any sleep disturbances (which we know are so toxic to migraine), it can cause an improvement indirectly.
Hx

How long did it take for you to see the effects of the melatonin?

Hi there, it’s not the kind of thing that you need to build up levels of over time, it just boosts your natural levels at night to help your body to sleep.

It’s not a fail safe as it doesn’t “drug” you to sleep like an antihistamine/benzo does, so If you’re a chronic insomniac don’t expect it to knock you out each and every night from night one, but persevere for a couple of weeks and see if your sleep pattern improves overall.

Hx