Migraine associated vertigo - Cherchi and Hain 2011

Hi All,

A paper that I missed last year. This is an easy-to-read summary of MAV according to the Chicago gurus. They also include a treatment algorithm below.

Full paper here:

Scott 8)

Hi Scott,
Thank you so very much for posting and I will bring this to my doctor. I am however even more upset by this line of the paper as I am completely dysfunctional. And they also seem to belie**“This is hardly surprising because
persons with MAV function normally during most of their lives.”**ve that MAV is more episodic, even if the episodes last a long time, whereas my symptoms are 24/7. I guess that is why my doctor thinks my rocking is a result of Mdds?

Thanks again for all the great information you continue to provide to this forum!
Christine

This is a different medication flow chart then the one on Hains website.
His website lists Venlafaxine, Nortriptyline or Amitriptyline… ??

Also in the box where Topamax is listed, it has something else as well, cannot remember.

Question, since this is up… Hain has Venlafaxine w/Propranolol listed. So can Nort/propranolol or AMI/Prop be combined.?

Drug interaction website isn’t helpful as it says that Hains combo’s are a moderate warning.

K

— Begin quote from “rockergrl”

Hi Scott,
Thank you so very much for posting and I will bring this to my doctor. I am however even more upset by this line of the paper as I am completely dysfunctional. And they also seem to belie**“This is hardly surprising because
persons with MAV function normally during most of their lives.”**ve that MAV is more episodic, even if the episodes last a long time, whereas my symptoms are 24/7. I guess that is why my doctor thinks my rocking is a result of Mdds?

Thanks again for all the great information you continue to provide to this forum!
Christine

— End quote

I agree. The first Neuro that I saw who said it was Migraneous said ‘these things come in flurries and you’ll be fine in a few weeks’…YEAH RIGHT!!! :shock:

I’ve tried all those : (
There has got to be a better way!
Sarah

Sarah - hang in there - there are LOTS of other drugs out there to try… dont lose heart!

Great info; thanks for posting it, Scott!

Muppo: I think doctors often give people, especially dizzy people, the “you’ll be fine in a few weeks” line because many people DO get over things in a few weeks, even if many others don’t (and the docs know it). It may be better for the patient to have EXPECTATIONS of improvement, because they’re more likely to recover and focus less on their symptoms.

But as we all know, many people DON’T get better, or at least not quickly, even if they expect to and even if they “do everything right.” And then the doctor’s blithe assertion that “you’ll be fine a few weeks” leads the patient to lose confidence in the doctor. So I wish the doctors would wise up and say something more ACCURATE, such as “Most people with these symptoms/this condition are fine in a few weeks.”

I just HATE it when doctors make assumptions that are not, or may not be, warranted. It really hurts patients and their ability to trust doctors.

Nancy

Great article Scott…but, I still don’t understand how they define our “vertigo.” The article does not address what many of us have, and that is constant dizziness, disequilibrium, vertigo (whatever you want to call it) lasting way beyond 24 hours. For many of us the initial insult lasts weeks and months, and never truly goes away. Other than that, the article is really informative, and I was interested to hear that he said there is a lot of articles out there on MAV. I find that to be quite the opposite. There is so much info about migraine, but very little specifically about MAV. Maybe I haven’t looked in the right places. Its always nice to see a new article published about this. And you never know,they may come to find out that there are more of us out there than just the 1-3 % of the population.

Here’s a more up to date treatment algorithm from March 2011. They should have SSRIs on this.

S