Migraine surgery

Nope. The endometriosis that lead to the hysterectomy that led to bone dislocating scar tissue could be related to the spine and definitely is the cause of my pelvic and hip issues. Only an MRI can tell for sure and I’m appealing a second insurance company denial on that now. I am likely to need a CAT scan too because I respond poorly to MRI contrast (heart issues and renal failure last time). I’ll fight that battle later. The others were ear tubes for Eustachian tube dysfunction that lead to hearing loss and permanent tinnitus and an abnormal healing from Lasik that required a second surgery to correct. These were all common, low complications procedures I researched thoroughly. I should wear a T-shirt that says ‘statistical outlier’.

So sorry to hear that. Sounds like a lot there that didn’t go to plan. No wonder your laying off surgery!! Hope you get somewhere with your insurance, they can be so difficult sometimes.

I had Lasek few months ago. Fortunately it’s all gone well and healed fine. Not sure how much difference it’s made though, said can take a good few months for my sight to settle down. It deffo hasn’t helped my headaches, which was one of my hopes…

1 Like

It was one of my hopes, too. :worried: Given my Cefaly is jangling my vision right now, I can’t say that went perfectly. Though having multiple pairs of non-Rx Theraspecs is nice. Neither eye healed correctly. One was way worse than the other. So we did a second procedure on the left. Now I accidentally have mono vision with the left eye seeing 20/20 in the middle and far distance and the right is slightly nearsighted. MAV brain hasn’t ever settled in the way they promise. I can very much tell the difference, but I don’t need reading glasses. It doesn’t bother me enough to fix the right eye. At this point visual snow and aura are bigger issues. I’ve had 16 MAV meds (rescue and prevention; in most classes). I could probably get Lamotrigine for the visual snow but my interest in buying another ticket to the Side Effects Carnival has waned. I feel you on wanting a one and done surgical solution.

It does take a couple of months for your eyes to settle. You’ll get there.

Emily

I had a spinal fusion of
neck cervicals (because of a diving accident), 15 years ago. Recovery was a walk in the park compared to dealing with this MV.

2 Likes

I have a friend about to get a second lumbar surgery. You’d think he’s preparing for the battle of Stalingrad. Three week recovery? Yes, please.

@flutters my prescription was pretty minor, but I didn’t get on with contact lenses, and glasses seemed to be really annoying (I am far in one eye, near in the other), so thought I’d get them lasered. If I’m honest, I can only notice a slight improvement but they say it will sharpen in time.
Your are :100: that I want a one and done!!!
15 and not done not got the same ring.

If this works, I’ll obv let you know, and maybe you could look into in a year or so time?
Obv that’s a very big IF!!!

This is from a question I put to one of the surgeons in US… I suppose he would say that if being cynical…

“The surgery does prevent the triggers that cause both the pain as well as the other symptoms and auras that you describe. As the decompression prevents the nerves from becoming irritated in the first place, the triggers of all of the symptoms of migraines and chronic headaches are addressed by the surgery.”

1 Like

@GetBetter @flutters… I have another call with him Monday, but this from his team today

“Professor only puts people through for surgery when he has diagnosed and seen them in clinic…not because the patient just wants to cut out a test and go straight for surgery. Many ask for this and he won’t do it. If he is crystal clear about the patients’ condition, only then will he offer a patient to go straight for surgery. “

2 Likes

The surgery is not as bad as it sounds. They release the nerves from the musculature to avoid the pressure . success rate is 88%. Good luck.

Are you a migraneur who later on added the vestibular symptoms ? If so there is an excellent chance this can work for you .

Thanks @GetBetter, that’s good to hear! am I winning a few people round? First reactions on here weren’t very good… I’m gonna look like a right nob if doesn’t work or something goes wrong.

I must have written about my symptoms above somewhere…

I would say I’ve never had vertigo, but over the years I’ve definitely had dizziness and imbalance, which actually was my only symptom lasting 3 months, when this first started four years ago.

I went from GP, to ENT, to neurologist, who was very firm in a diagnosis of VM, and prescribed me Topomax, which was truly horrible. The dizziness then subsided but the migraines kicked in (which was much worse), and never really went away.

I would say I still have slight dizziness, and if I turn my head quickly, it’s like everything else then has to catch up, which Dr S says is part of the MAV / VM

Other main symptoms are noise sensitivity (I feel this as pain in my head, nothing to do with ears) DP/DR, visual disturbances etc

My surgeon reckons this is all due to the nerves, see it all before etc, so I’m having 2, or maybe all three sites done at once (I don’t wanna go back!)

He has done around a 1000 to 2000 of these over the last 15 years or so.

1 Like

No you are most definitely not. This journey is long. We face many obstacles. We try. We succeed or we fail. But keep on trying. There is no judgment here; just love and hope.

2 Likes

@flutters :facepunch:t2::facepunch:t2::facepunch:t2::muscle:t2::muscle:t2::muscle:t2:

1 Like

PLF as mentioned above refers to Perilymph Fistula which is surely ear related.

1 Like

Thanks Helen. I wondered what Rob was talking about there! :).

Indeed. PLFs and resulting Secondary Hydrops are known to cause migraine.

https://youtu.be/ETjsJocMBYk

I must add that jury is out whether you need this surgery because of spontaneous healing. Unfortunately this takes years as upsets homeostasis in affected ear which is not an organ used to major changes in fluid pressure and balance.

Part of her recovery might have been spontaneous, and I bet she was on Amitriptyline, who is to know?

Ah, soz, though was something else!!!

1 Like

That’s the trouble with these articles videos etc. It’s what they forget to say that’s important. Doctors have this trouble I understand p!p say they aren’t on any medication then it turns out they take insu!in for diabetes but that’s so normal to them they forget to mention it.

1 Like

We are all a bit glib with abbreviations. All guilty.

Remind me @turnitaround PLF and CFS I associate both with ears and ear pressure. What does CFS stand for apart from Chronic Fatigue Syndrome that is. CFS pressure I seem to link to spinal fusion.?? Known several people went that road.

CSF Cerebral Spinal Fluid and its pressure. This interacts with and becomes your Perilymph fluid in your inner ear. Unexpected (not learnt) fluctuations in CSF pressure can presumably disturb your vestibular response.

It’s all coming back to me now. My brother had severe vertigo years ago following some very heavy lifting at work. In later life he’s had terrible back pain for long long time and went through possible disc removal/fusion etc etc. Was told links between the trauma of heavy lifting incidents and CFS and vertigo. Interestingly after long time on huge quantities painkillers (some of ‘our’ MAV) and the pain equivalent of a Cefaly Device too he’s virtually recovered and off all but one drug now and has been several years. His vertigo stopped years ago.

Trouble is we are all joined up. The spine goes right up into the head. Ask an Alexander Technique practioner. They are always on about it!

2 Likes

I’d not come across surgery for migraine, very interesting. I really hope it works for you and you can come back and let us know how everything went and maybe indicate the price range.

2 Likes

So nothing like you’d get in the gym then Helen? :man_facepalming:t3: