Migranal, Ativan...need help!

Another vertigo attack. Starting Sunday night, and I just saw my neuro on Friday. I have been having episodes of vertigo for 4 years now. They have always been many months apart…until the last three. Just days apart. I am freaking out. They keep me down and in bed for about 3 days each time. I am suppose to take migranal to abort the episode, but it appears (after my appt on Friday) that I have been using the medication incorrectly. Doc says to use it at first sign of attack…last night when it started, I just wasn’t sure if it was really happening again…thought that the “weird” feeling when I bent over or turned my head was something else. So I waited an hour and a half before using the migranal.

So after trading email with the neuro he has prescribed Ativan…but he said he is not sure if it will do anything for me since my GP had previously rx’d Valium and it only made me sleepy.

I know that I am not suffering 24/7 like I have read so many of you are…but I feel that this is wrecking my life.

I am worried about losing my job from missing work…stressing about everything now…

Any insight is appreciated.

Emma

Hi Emma
Do you have true vertigo? Spinning sensation? My dizziness is more lightheaded, disequalibrium, visual “off” kind of thing. However, I take Phenergan, which is prescribed for Vertigo…actually it works for anxiety as well. I would say to try it as it is an easy med to take. It does make you tired, so I take it at night.
I know ativan is a popular benzo for quick fix anxiety issues, but for more long term, longer acting meds of this class, valium and Klonopin (my favorite) are used. They also have less chance of addiction…I take only 1/4 of a .5mg tablet, and it doesn’t make me tired at all…just clears some of the cob webs.
Good luck!
Kelley

Yes, I believe it is vertigo. Everything is spinning. I took the Ativan, it put me to sleep. Upon waking I am a bit more steady, but not yet normal. I need to get through this episode and evaluate the med situation. How quickly is the ativan habit forming?

Emma

I suppose it’s different for everyone. THe most problematic thing with benzodiazapines (ativan, klonopin, valium, xanax…) is that they build a tolerance, and then you have to up the dose to get the same effect. AFter a while, you’re just chasing your tail. THen comes the withdrawal, which is supposedly horrible. That being said, I take a very low dose of klonopin daily, and it took me a while to get “ok” with doing so. I havent’ needed to up the dose, and I take a day off here and there to make sure there’s no weird withdrawal starting. It’s been over a year now and if I need to take it every day for the rest of my life, so be it. No side effects at all.
Kelley

How long does it take the ativan to become habit forming? Is it ever used jsut during an attack or is it always a maintenance med?

Well, I’m
Guessing it’s different for everyone. If you use it sparingly, you shouldn’t have any problem.