My doctor thinks I have VM, but I'm not so sure.

My doctor thinks I have VM but Iā€™m not so sure. No medication has helped. My episodes come every few weeks with vomiting and diarrhea. Iā€™m unable to walk without help and would be crawling on the floor to the bathroom if alone. I consider them very severe. Iā€™ve suffered for 20 years and nothing helps.

Hi Joan and welcome. Not quite sure where your current comment fits into this thread but you mostly certainly sound as if your symptoms are a perfect fit to this site. Perhaps youā€™d like to expand on your experiences by introducing yourself on a ā€˜new here intro ā€¦ā€™ thread or starting a Personal Diary. If you prefer to continue browsing try a dip into my diary. Like you I have a close affinity with bathroom floors. :joy:You should feel right on home

Thank you. I am not good at navigating technology but will give it a try.

2 Likes

No problem @Joan Iā€™ve moved your posts to your very own Topic. Welcome, and sorry for your suffering.

1 Like

Lots of ways to do that but a quick one is to click my Avatar, orange circle with O on it twice with slight pause between, at next screen it takes you to look for the highlighted word, should be ā€˜Activityā€™ then to move highlight left to cover the word ā€˜Summaryā€™ click the word ā€˜Summaryā€™ and then when screen changes again you will see ā€˜top topicsā€™ right hand side screen and my diary is the first listed ā€˜Onandonā€™ diary. Click it. Btw my username reflects our joint experience of MAV. It just goes On and On. I hope you might be able to discover some new info now you are here that will help relieve your suffering. If you get further stuck with the tech side you can PM me so we can chat privately by pressing your own avatar and looking out for and clicking on a little envelope.

Thank you so much. When Iā€™m feeling better, I will be back in touch.

1 Like

Hi Joan,

Have you ever been tested for Meniereā€™s Disease? An Audiologist can do this hearing test (usually in a Otolaryngologist office) which is just a headphones hearing test. Episodes every few weeks with vomiting and diarrhea while have vertigo attacks sounds a lot like it.

Hi Joan - How have things been since your original post?

I also started with an initial diagnosis of VM (with similar symptoms - episodic attacks of incapacitating vomiting), but have ended up with a Meniereā€™s diagnosis and would agree with Gregā€™s comment.

I use Stemetil or Buccastem to try to reduce the severity of an attack, and have been prescribed Betahistine and a diuretic to try to prevent them. The episodes are much less frequent than they were a couple of years ago, but that may be due to lifestyle changes (avoiding stress & caffeine and getting plenty of sleep & hydration), medication or just the progression of the disease.

Thank you for checking in with me! I have been tested a couple of times for Menieres but both times, the results were that I did not have it. For about 6 or 7 months now, I have been on 30mg nortriptyline and symptoms have nearly disappeared. Iā€™ve had only 2 very mild episodes of ā€œickinessā€ that passed in a few hoursā€¦ no full-blown dizziness, instability or vomiting. I too watch my caffeine, get a lot of sleep, hydrate, and try to limit stress . I had tried Betahistine a few years ago and it did nothing for me. Thank you again for your inputā€¦continue to do well and think positively!

2 Likes