Neck pain suggestion! Sleep position

For many of us MAV is caused or aggravated by neck stiffness or maybe it is a symptom? Regardless when my neck is stiff and sore, my ears start ringing and my vertigo symptoms worsen (nausea, visual disturbance, etc).

My son recently started using one of those cheap microbead travel pillows you can buy at the airport in bed both to read surf but also sleep.The kind that snaps around your neck.

Given that I have tried every position and pillow known to man I gave it a whirl.

Life changing. I was only mildly surprised how comfortable it was for reading but sleeping was a huge shock. I have always started on my back then am a side sleeper. This thing crams into that space that never feels supported. Now if I sleep without it, it hurts.

He says memory foam not as good. I haven’t bothered bc this is perfect.

If you don’t already own one you can get cheap on Amazon. Search microbead travel pillows.

Curious if it helps anyone else.

1 Like

Hi Kelly,
Such a timely post, all week my neck has been giving me trouble on waking, so upsets my pain in head and balance etc…will definitely try it, great tip. Thanks!!

Omg my neck! It’s awful. I am going to get myself one of these for sure. Thank you!

Will definitely try today. Thank you. Will let you know how it works for me.

I use my fingers to iron out sore trigger points on my neck. It helps a lot. For spots in my back i cannot reach i use theracane. I don’t do massages anymore as they throw me off. Relying on self help.

In my case it was definitely a symptom. I believe its the brain trying to stabilise your head to give your eyes and ears the best chance of supporting your balance. There’s enough ‘noise’ in the vestibular system when you are bouncing around normally, but when the system itself is compromised I think a stiffening of the neck is what occurs.

This symptom was well controlled for me with Amitriptyline.

1 Like