New Member from Oklahoma, USA

I have apparently had vestibular problems all of my life. I remember as a five year old getting sick from riding in a moving vehicle or on rides at the state fair. Strangely enough, I tolerate motion fairly well now.

In 1995, I suddenly lost 40% of the hearing in my left ear and 100% of the comprehension. I also have this maddening tinnitus 24/7. The ENT could not figure out what was wrong with me. The only factual thing I got out of him was that hearing aids would not work for me. He was right.

Over the past three years, I get dizzy for no apparent reason. I went to my PCP, my Cardiologist, a Neurologist and finally last year an ENT. No one had any clue as to what was causing my dizziness, except for the ENT. She ran three hours of tests on me and ended up with the Vestibular Migraine diagnosis.

My Neurologist sent me to therapy, which I thought was a joke. How could training myself to stand on one leg for as long as I could help me? I quit the therapy.

The neurologist started me on gabapentin and within two weeks I was saying the craziest stuff and I was mad at everyone, I mean even my pastor. I told the neurologist that gabapentin wasnā€™t working and in fact was causing problems. He then put me on Topamax.

With Topamax I had the worst case of Gurd that I could imagine. I was eating white bread and drinking water because anything else triggered the Gurd. So I quit the Topamax.

Now Iā€™m on pregabalin (Lyrica) and Nortriptyline. But Iā€™m taking them for sciatica, not VM. I would say that my attacks have gotten worse and more severe since taking them. But, my leg doesnā€™t hurt. I had the leg pain for five years until I found a neurologist that would send me to pain management.

Iā€™m home from work today because of a severe attack. I have fallen a few times for no reason. My neurologist says itā€™s the neuropathy and the VM working together to make me unsteady and prone to falling. My employer is concerned about me. He sent me home yesterday and wanted me to let someone else drive. He has me working two days a week and taking the emergency calls after hours. We donā€™t have a lot of those. Even with my abbreviated work, he has taken all of my responsibilities away and given them to someone else. Yet he still pays me as if I was working a full 40 hours. I will retire soon. Iā€™m 69 years old and sometimes I feel every year.

My journey has been way to long to me, but I realize mine is short compared to others. But I remember reading somewhere on this forum that everyoneā€™s case is different.

2 Likes

Hi and welcome.

Motion sickness dogged me too from as far back as I can remember. To this day I cannot understand why my Grandmother didnā€™t hate me. Looking back it seems I was for ever being sick over her in the back of the family car. Iā€™m amazed she continued to travel with me at all. As you say motion sickness is a powerful illustration of balance issues. Like you I guess I was a case of VM just waiting to happen. Sciatica Iā€™ve suffered that too, very painful,. Mine was successfully treated with exercises prescribed by a physiotherapist. No idea of your occupation but mine came about because I was sitting long hours at a workstation so once you retire, just maybe ā€¦? A less sedentary lifestyle may pay dividends. Letā€™s hope so. Exercise helps balance tremendously.

Surprised he didnā€™t explain. Not very motivating that. VM is sometimes referred to as ā€˜Migraine Associated Balance Disorderā€™ and the vestibular exercises are supposed to ā€˜Challenge the Balanceā€™ and make the brain compensate for any deficit.

1 Like

You nailed it. I am a service coordinator for generators. I take their trouble calls and after doing a little troubleshooting over the phone, I find a tech and dispatch them. Then I monitor their progress so that I can close the work order and invoice the customer.

The job entails sitting on my keyster talking on the phone, reading and sending email. The only time I get up and walk around is to go to the John, or refill my water jug.

My sciatica however, didnā€™t come from sitting. In 2015, I slipped on an icy patch and landed directly on the edge of the concrete path right on my piriformis muscle. A few days later the pain started and the sitting made it worse. My employer, God bless them, got me a standing desk so that I could get off my derriĆØre part of the time.

1 Like