Non stop aura

Is it normal with mav to have aura most of the time> cause i do
jen

jenny,

I have constant visual aura along with distorted auditory and olfactory sensations. This is on top of the 24/7 dizziniess and brain fog. BTW, I’ve had some improvement with Zoloft, after a month titrating up to 20 mg, where i had to stop due to SEs. But a little improvement is feeling great right now. On to the next drug for me.

good luck,

julie

Its saddens me to hear even after getting a diagnosis that this could take forever to find a drug to fix it. i thought if i could have a diagnosis I’d get a pill and be done with it. many years ago they tried me on antidepressants as they thought this was anxiety or depression I think, but none of those worked for me and I hated zoloft, I became suicidle after a year on it.
thanks so much
jenny

Hi Julie and all, just a note, Ive found the constant brain fog we all have has been relieved by the verapamil i’m on or tho it hasnt fixed my memory, it’s gone.
jen

— Begin quote from “Julie”

…where i had to stop due to SEs. But a little improvement is feeling great right now. On to the next drug for me.

good luck,

julie

— End quote

I am very familar with that. I went through three meds before we found one that worked, but that was the big clue for the doctors that we were headed in the right direction. Just had to find a med whose side effects weren’t as bad as the symptom being treated.

Brian,

question for you - in my negotiating my next step with my doc, he claims that Depakote is mainly for headache symptoms. You have found relief of vertigo with Depakote, true?

Julie

— Begin quote from “Julie”

Brian,

question for you - in my negotiating my next step with my doc, he claims that Depakote is mainly for headache symptoms. You have found relief of vertigo with Depakote, true?

Julie

— End quote

Depakote is an anti convolsant that has a side effect of preventing migraines. This is also true of Topomax and Nuerontin. But since MAV is a migraine/headache (often without pain) problem whereby the vertigo is caused by the migraine/headache, if you treat the migraine/headache, you treat the vertigo.

For me, I quit falling (I used to fall at least a couple of times an hour)within a couple of days of starting each of the above meds, and after a week or two, the disequalibrium/vertigo started to fade as well. I had to quit taking the Topomax and Neurontin because of side effects, but both meds indicated that we were on the correct path, we just needed to find the right med.