Nortriptyline and smoking cessation.

So ive been addicted to nicotine (vaping, gums, lozenges) for a long time (8 Years) and am desperate to stop however any attempt to quit ends up being a disater. Jan 1st attempt lasted about 6 hours !
My MAV syptoms take such a hit without a nicotine hit in the morning. I just cannot function without it . Trust me ive tried and tried to stop millions of times but i think my brain is conditioned now to believe it helps my MAV. I must admit i do feel better after my morning vape but i know deep down its nicotine playing tricks on me.
Currently on no meds and kind of managing MAV symptoms which are baseline but not great , had MAV so long, i just manage.
Anyway I read some studies that Nortyptyline is also a usefull smoking cessation, like Zyban (Wellburtrin, Bupronion) .
I was thinking of starting Nort again and maybe killing 2 birds with one stone, although i think this is wishful thinking, but wondered if anyone who has taken nort for MAV who are/where smokers lost the urge to do so during treatment ?
Thanks

1 Like

Maybe you’ve already read it, but Allen Carr’s book “The Easy Way to Stop Smoking” is the miracle book that helps everyone quit for good, including me a few years back. If you’re using willpower to stop smoking, it just isn’t going to work. Carr takes you on a sort-of mental, emotional guided tour of smoking, and at a certain point down it you lose all interest in cigarettes. I was smoking 40 a day when I picked up the book, and after a few days I almost vomited whenever I lit a cigarette, and finally threw the pack away in relief. Now a non-smoker for life.

You mention Zyban, which I was prescribed when I first tried to stop smoking. It seems to mask cravings. I didn’t crave for a month (or however long it was, I forget). Then I ran out of my prescription, and the cravings fired up so intensely that I started smoking again (!!). Presumably Nortriptyline would be the same.

The migraine problem perhaps complicates your situation somewhat, because the brain likes regularity, and stopping smoking creates a huge sea-change. So, along with the stomach ache that everyone gets when they quit, you might also have bad dizzy symptoms, but they’ll settle down once your brain adjusts. There’s no way that nicotine helps your migraine.

2 Likes

I’m the same. Tried quitting several times, ended up in emergency room every time with dizziness and headache so bad no amount of morphine helped. I tried nortriptyline, loved it, felt great, had plenty of energy, but it made me want to smoke more! Also very addictive.
The best way would be to reduce by one cigarette a week, super slowly, so you don’t shock the system. Also try some kind of emotional support program- Smokenders is great.
Good luck!

2 Likes

Hey Dave,
Interesting you say you craved more after discontinuing Zyban, I think NHS only give it for 6 weeks which is why maybe you stopped. Anyway I have read Alan Carrs book years back and it didnt hit with me, also tried Hypnotism. Anyway Ive dug out Alan Carrs book again and i will retry, maybe it will get in my head this time as you said.

1 Like

Agata, yes ive heard it can also have the opposotite effect :frowning:

What works for some is to gradually eliminate it from your system. You would feel intense withdrawal if you shock your body.

1 Like