Nortriptyline and Topamax together?

I am om 17.5 mg. Nort and I feel so much better. I know its a low dose, but if I go up, I get to many sideeffekts. I would really like to try Topamax, as I am not near the 100%. And I have gained so much weigt on the Nort, so I would love an alternetive!
Is it possible to start the Topamax while on Nori, and then, if I find relief from Topamax, I can go off the Nort!?
Did anyone try them together, or will I get even more messed up in the head?

Best from Line

Yes you can definitely take those together. That is great you are feeling better on Nori- do you have any trouble walking- and did it help with this symptom? How long have you been on nori and how much weight did it make you gain?

Hi Line - I’m on 100mg Dothep (tricyclic like Nortrip) & have added Topamax recently. The Dothep has helped the headaches but not visual vertigo. No problems taking both. Who is prescribing your meds? Read the posts on Topa - there’s a lot of info here! Good luck.
Barb

I’m taking both and have been for over a year.

Knocked out a lot of symptoms for me.

Hi
I also take 20mg Nori and 100mg Topirimate and feel much better!! I’d say give it a try!!

Anne x

Thank you so much for your answers.
Today I got the topimax, and I do not know if I am gonna take them. I am so afraid. For example the paper inside the pack says that you cannot drive. I dont drive cars, but you can not drive bike to, and that is a must for me, to get around.

It sounds so horrible, the SE you can have, so now I dont know if I just keep goving (and growing) on the Nort…

— Begin quote from “Barb”

Hi Line - I’m on 100mg Dothep (tricyclic like Nortrip) & have added Topamax recently. The Dothep has helped the headaches but not visual vertigo. No problems taking both. Who is prescribing your meds? Read the posts on Topa - there’s a lot of info here! Good luck.
Barb

— End quote

It is a Nerologist in a neadacecenter in a hospital. She is really good :slight_smile:
Thank you Barb :slight_smile:

— Begin quote from “sarahd”

Yes you can definitely take those together. That is great you are feeling better on Nori- do you have any trouble walking- and did it help with this symptom? How long have you been on nori and how much weight did it make you gain?

— End quote

I’ve been on Nori for 14 months, and gained over 20 kg :idea:

Line
20kg is a lot of weight to gain but the Topamax definitely reduces the appetite so maybe you’ll lose it all! I’m still riding my bike without any problems. Don’t think the ‘no driving’ rule relates to bikes and anyway I’m back to driving the car. The Topamax notes say “it may affect your ability to drive & that you should know how you are affected by the meds before you do.”
Barb

One thing to be careful of–taking Nori and Topamax together can make it hard for the body to properly shed heat. So just be careful not to get into a situation where you get overheated and can’t cool down. I was in a situation taking both of them together last summer when my air conditioner konked out and I was running around trying to get to the airport at the same time and almost managed to pass out from overeheating, despite the fact that I’ve always been super heat-tolerate. I didn’t realize until afterwards when I read about it that it was probably due to the medication combo that I wasn’t properly shedding heat.

So, I don’t think it is a major concern, but be aware of it.

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: Nortriptyline and topamax?