Orange Juice?

Hi,

I know that citrus fruits are on the lists of no-no’s so does that mean orange juice is a no-no too? I have not seen it specifically listed on any of the “avoid” charts that I have seen.

Thanks~

I thought it was off if you are following Dr S diet. I have apple juice instead now x

Hi swirlgirl,
Yes, orange juice would be included in the never ending list of foods on the MAV/VM diet.
Orange juice consists of everything that oranges do and you would be consuming more
oranges in a glass of juice as it takes several oranges to make just one glass of juice so I’d stay
right away from orange or any other citrus juice’s.
I know it makes it difficult for all of us to be so restricted to what we can eat and drink but if it helps
then it’s worth it.
I find there are quite a few foods on the diet that I can tolerate but it has taken me months and
months of careful elimination and reintroduction of several foods to figure out just a few that don’t
set off any horrible triggers for me. Or I should say, they don’t make me feel any worse as I never,
ever feel completely ‘right’ anymore. :cry:
Good luck with the diet and please keep us informed on how you’re doing.
Take care.
Annie x :slight_smile:

Thank you both!

Annie–which method did you use? Did you eliminate all possible triggers for a while and then reintroduce them? My doctor suggested eliminated one at a time for two weeks. I think it might be harder to tell using that method whether something is really a trigger.

Hi, swirlgirl. Welcome to the group.

Dr. Buchholz (“Heal Your Headache”) advises eliminating all potential medication and food triggers for two months. If you feel better, give it two more months, then try reintroducing the things you miss most, one at a time, and eating it daily for a week. If you’re not worse by the end of the week, you should be able to tolerate that food. The week’s trial gives your other triggers (stress, weather, etc.) time to fluctuate so you can tell if the food would be okay even when other triggers are high.

I just started this diet three weeks ago and am still trying to figure it out. I’ve been really careful but something triggered symptoms Thursday night and I can’t decide what it was.

I wish you the best as you sort through this maze.

Thank you everyone! I am trying to learn all the ins and outs of the diet. I am bummed about the OJ because it is a good source of potassium. I struggle to get all the potassium in on this diet! Thank goodness potatoes are not on the no list!

I guess we’re each having trouble finding something on this diet. For me it’s protein, especially in snacks since peanut butter and crackers was my “go to” food. I also don’t eat red meat, so entrees are limited, too. Good old chicken it is!

I eliminated all of them for months, then added back in one potential trigger at a time. ‘’

Citrus turned out to be okay, at least lemon, orange and tangerine and their juices and peels (marmalade &c.). I haven’t tried grapefruit yet.

I do wonder, though, whether I am at risk from even these on bad days. I just came off a rather bad week, for no particular reason I could find, other than perhaps barometric change or/and some recent disappointment and anxiety. If it hadn’t eased off yesterday evening, I probably would have gone back to strict observance of the diet, to see whether that helped.

I eliminated all of them for months, then added back in one potential trigger at a time. ‘’

Citrus turned out to be okay, at least lemon, orange and tangerine and their juices and peels (marmalade &c.). I haven’t tried grapefruit yet.

I do wonder, though, whether I am at risk from even these on bad days. I just came off a rather bad week, for no particular reason I could find, other than perhaps barometric change or/and some recent disappointment and anxiety. (And I wouldn’t have considered them any great deal if I weren’t searching for explanations for being symptomatic.) If it hadn’t eased off yesterday evening, I probably would have gone back to strict observance of the diet, to see whether that helped.

I do wonder, though, whether I am at risk from even these on bad days. I just came off a rather bad week, for no particular reason I could find, other than perhaps barometric change or/and some recent disappointment and anxiety. (And I wouldn’t have considered them any great deal if I weren’t searching for explanations for being symptomatic.) If the MAV symptoms hadn’t eased off yesterday evening, I probably would have gone back to strict observance of the diet, to see whether that helped.

1 Like

I noticed that orange juice is a trigger for me. My head feels wobbly and I’m less resistant to stimulus after drinking it. Too bad, I love it !

1 Like

They say it triggers because of the synephrine content in the orange juice.