“Pacing” method

I came across this pdf as I researched Pacing; it’s for people with ME / chronic fatigue but I find that there’s a lot of overlap when MAV is chronic and affects daily life. Pacing is helpful in managing to still do a certain amount of activities without triggering a setback. I tend to do the boom and bust cycle - overdoing things when I have a better day and then experiencing a setback. So I’m hoping to pace myself better :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Good find and fantastic principle. I read of MAV consultants placing special emphasis on avoiding the ‘boom n bust’ cycle also in relation to chronic backpain too. Many overlaps. Trouble is in practice after many years of just accelerating through the day to ‘get everything done’, it’s become a ingrained habit for many but it’s certainly worth trying to change I say, tongue in cheek, cos I think I could well be suffering myself currently as a result of ignoring such a good principle! Helen

1 Like

Im with you on that Lucy! Overdoing it is kind of my job… I am still working it out! I’ve never really been the type to sit down and relax - MAV & MS have other ideas :pensive::face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

Yes I also find it hard to get myself to stop and relax. Dr S really insisted at my last appointment not to overdo things when I felt a bit better, he said to keep things even and activity low key. The next day I decided to de-weed the garden and mow the grass… I realised later that was too much! So still learning!
The idea with pacing is that you actually get more done and more consistently than with the boom and bust cycle.

1 Like

Agree… I like what you say, that we get actually more done if we pace ourselves.

Hope you are feeling better :slight_smile:

Good for you, Lucy. Yes, I’m sure there is a lot of overlap with MAV and any other illness that saps one’s energy. I actually know someone who is having counselling specifically about pacing herself.

Great find. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just diagnosed, not yet got my prescription for Amitriptyline but came to this thread from another. The original link is no longer working and I don’t know how to post a new one on here, but if you find the “Action for ME” website online and then search their website for “Pacing”, it brings up the .pdf for downloading.

Try it now. Should be OK.

This is the thread To which I referred.
“Pacing” method

1 Like

Thank you! I’ll have to learn how to embed a link into a post.