Peppermint oil vs peppermint pills?

Tried peppermint oil on neck then temples then forehead and didn’t seem to help and tried a drop in water and that seemed to make dizziness worse.

Anyone recommend still trying those peppermint pills? I guess why not as they may be absorbed differently:

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time help fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. More recommended products here. Thanks for your support!)

In Capsules Just Oil
More recommended supplements here.

Sorry. Is this for pain relief? Topically for pain relief and via the gut for digestive/IBS. I never associate peppermint with pain relief though brilliant for indigestion but I never found it useful for IBS symptoms either (expensive compound for that was). Course, as my IBS was probably migraine in first place may account but I had no idea at the time and went on swallowing money, sorry the peppermint compound. Cant recall what it was called off hand now. While back. Helen

I just ignore my IBS/nausea problems and I ignore my headache but my dizziness/fatigue are bad and it seems multiple people on this forum have recommended peppermint oil for their dizziness and I can always return it to amazon so i thought why try the pills out since the oil on its own seemed to bother me :slight_smile:

It’s defo used for nausea too:

It’s always worth a try. Peppermint oil. Ginger is another age-old remedy. Grandma was a herbalist as wasnmy father to an extent. Peppermints brilliant for indigestion. Peppermint cordial too.

Success must depend on how bad the nausea. Buccastem was the only thing that ever stopped mine with a major vertigo attack. Saved my life quite literally couple of times. In danger of dehydration. Helen

1 Like

Yes I’ve used that too … my goodness those major spinning events are awful!

They certainly are. I lost count how many I had. Seventy two hours originally they lasted, time after time. The GP who injected me with Buccastem once did say ‘you do seem to get alot of these’. He never suggested I saw a consultant though. Uum. Bad case of BPPV that! Helen

How often do you get them now, Helen?

I don’t think I’m prepared to tempt Fate by answering that question, thanks.

Medics claim preventatives a success if they reduce severity, frequency and duration of attacks by 50%. Helen

If my mental model of the condition is correct, I get why Propanolol would help.

For your reference, I’ve not had a vertigo attack in over a year. It’s also possible it’s just a phase we pass through.

And are you going to enlighten the rest if us or keep it secret? I remember you once saying abt propranolol working in different way from other preventatives.

Well trying not to court controversy but I’m pretty convinced MAV involves the inner ear. The inner ear itself might have had an upset (e.g. in the case of trauma) or its something to do with one of the processes that influences the inner ear, including but not limited to arterial pressure, CPP etc. These drugs may be reducing pressure on the inner ear and that is why you see a reduction of symptoms. In addition, if the ear is even mildly hydropic (for whatever reason), it probably responds to these changes even more than an ear in a healthy state would (due to blood barrier permeability being higher in a ear that is at higher pressure).

In this situation, the electrical, sensory response of the ear changes more in response to fluctuations in external bodily functions because it is more ‘hooked up to’/influenced by them. That might cause secondary neurological issues as the brain tries to cope with the changing response of the ear. We can’t ‘hear’ the vestibular sense but if we could we might notice a change in characteristics over time. It’s this noise the brain has to deal with, adapt to, but initially the brain gets extremely confused and this puts it under so much stress it heads into migraine state.

This represents a benign, reversible situation but simply a situation where the ear is sending more unpredictable signals to the brain. The brain is very sophisticated though and over time, within a certain threshold, the brain may be able to work around the noise.

There are so many variables though!

There … said it.

I certainly wouldn’t rule out inner ear involvement. Though ear pressure was a very later development in my case and there’s strong links to hormones. What I find now is I do seem to hv had more head/ear pressure since the meds were upped and I’ve had one eared tinnitus for years certainly ever since MAV went chronic. Don’t remember it before. Now, with my balance steady for best part of six months now, I do find when I take the Propranolol, (three times daily) if I have ear/head pressure I feel it improve or abate just as one would taking a painkiller for a broken limb say. Just sweeps across/up, and I get impression it’s relaxing/widening blood vessels to relieve pressure some how, And obviously the clearer my ears and hearing is, the better my balance. Direct ratio there I say. Helen

Yeah, this is why I maintain this entire thing is about a system out of balance.

The trick is for the whole system to regain balance again and the poor ear to be left alone to do its job instead of being whacked out of kilter by trauma or bothered by some tbd external issue that is causing it to have some bother.

migraines to me are a red flag saying ‘stuff is not stable’.

Absolutely. I don’t think many plp ever really twig that the ‘vertigo/dizziness; is a sign their balance system is under assault. Not ‘fit for purpose’. Indeed the ‘migraine’ could well be just another symptom of same. Strange, I always thought in UK they only really test for static balance, not dynamic balance. Well they didn’t me. You cannot count walking really cos that’s learned anyway. Helen

I think the problem with testing is its often a snapshot. The fluctuating response might only be captured if you took tests every few hours every day.

My nausea rarely gets real bad but good to know buccastem is a good supplement to try. My two attempts at Peppermint oil pills seemed to make me dizzy so unsure it’s worth continuing. Also read Cyprus oil may help with fatigue and geranium Jasmine neroli bergamot or rose with dizziness so I’m going to smell them if they’re available at my Whole Foods and see what happens haha

ooh no no, we got off topic, apologies. I would not recommend buccastem for mild nausea, not tried it. It’s a drug, not a supplement in any case and you should really only use it for very severe nausea and or spinning attacks. It’s just a different form of Stemetil.

I used Amitriptyline to control nausea … it was brilliant for that.

Buccastem only available on prescription anyway.

1 Like