Rebound headache

Hey migraine warriors,

I think I may have dropped myself into a state of rebound headache. I adjusted the dose of Paxil somewhat 5 weeks back (lowered it), felt pretty darn good initially and then one day had the mother of all headaches after putting a sunblock on my face full of nasty chemicals. so I took this aspirin product here in Oz called Aspro Clear which I’ve used many times in the past. Basically you dissolve about 600-1000 mg of the stuff in water, knock it back and it wipes out pain quickly.

BUT, I now notice that I appear to be on a constant roller coaster ride of pain then no pain then pain again as the aspirin wears off. This current trend is not the norm for me and I cannot pick any other triggers. Everything else is under control.

When I went cold turkey as per Nick Silver’s advice last year I still got headaches despite 3 months on the painkiller wagon but it wasn’t going on anything like this.

I think I’m going to go cold turkey for a while and just put up with the pain and then see if it drops off. :shock:

To think a GP told me the other day to start taking 1000 mg before bed daily with 2.5 mg of valium. The valium is fine here and there but this aspirin thing has me wondering if I’ve turned into a painkiller junkie.

Any of you guys think you’ve had rebound before?

S 8)

Scott, my experience with painkillers. I took 1 x Aspro a day for around 3 months years ago and it kept quite good control of the heads. Had to stop as it affected my stomach, now I cant take brufen or Asprin for more than 3 days in a row, stomach trouble.

When I gave up painkillers completely (did this twice) for 3 or 4 months, I noticed the daily headaches were reduced, the dizziness ramped up and the major migraines still broke through. I did this twice to start on a preventative as they say, get off the painkillers before you take the preventative. So I had 3 or 4 months of taking nothing.

Nowadays, when things are stable, I am down to quarter of one tablet of (paracetamol, codeine and caffeine) 3 times a day, this has taken a while to get down as I was on higher doses of painkiller before. Plus, of course, pretty stict diet. This can adequately control the heads and the dizziness (its the dizziness I need to keep control over the most, I can stick the mild heads). I have just got some prothiaden from the drs. but dont want to rock the boat at the moment. Was bad for 4 months but things have settled down again.

Christine

Scott,

A few months ago I was getting some rebound headaches around the temple area and the back right side of my head, and I started to take some magnesium citrate for about a week and I haven’t had a headache since then.

Greg

I was going to suggest what Greg did, add some magnesium at 400mg at least a day and see what that does. I know that when I start feeling the pain of a migraine sometimes taking a magnesium supplement can knock it down.

Thanks guys. I might check out iHerb for a pure form of magnesium to try. I used to take one brand called Ultra Muscleze but it started giving me gut problems after being fine with it for 2 years.

S :slight_smile:

My friend whos a pharmacist said dont take asprin/panadol more than 3 times per week as it causes rebound headaches so i dont take it often. Im trying imitrex soon as i feel otc never knock it on the head, and that if i can totally clear it hopefully ill get a few days clear rather than waking every day with one. I havent had the full blown chronic migraine since i been off and on magensium but get some migraine and daily headaches.

Some good deals on magnesium here in veggie caps (i.e. no gelatin caps which themselves can trigger headaches):

http://www.iherb.com/Search?kw=veggie%20cap&cid=1823

I see there are Thorne products on iHerb–they are really good quality. I like to buy them when I can, and didn’t think to look to them for magnesium! Now I’ll have to check it out.

Scott I have taken the Solgar Magnesium, very low dose, for about 10 years now. It was one of the few things that helped me and that I could tolerate. It reduced the 3 day migraines down quite a lot.

Christine

Thanks for the tip Christine. I’ll order it tomorrow. I figure if you can tolerate it then I can. We’re both the same with chemical sensitivities it seems.

S :slight_smile:

Scott, its Solgar Chelated Magnesium I use, one a night, I sometimes do one and half, you might be able to up it more. Good luck with it.

Christine

This one yeah?

http://www.iherb.com/Solgar-Chelated-Magnesium-250-Tablets/14617?at=0

Thats the one. You can get it in 100 tablets to try first. Cheaper. 100 tablets cost me £8.55.

Christine

Christine - is there something about chelated magnesium that makes it better than other types? I take Solgar’s magnesium citrate and have done for about five years now. It was certainly an important factor in my improvemnt I am sure.

I’m wondering, as I’m just about to run out of my supply, if I shouldn’t next order chelated magnesium. I do like the Solgar brand though as I tolerate it well. Thanks.

Brenda

Brenda, I am not sure. When I first checked out magnesium, chelated was coming up as the best to take. As with everything on the net, the more you read, others claim other types of magnesium work the best. I changed a couple of times over the years to try the others but for me, the chelated gives me no side effects and it works.

I had a blood test done and found out my magnesium levels were well below range, I took just the one tablet at night, got retested and they had gone well into range, so its the one I stick with.

Christine

Just looked it up. Seems that I take a chelated form of magnesium after all! And that chelated forms are better absorbed, which I now recall is why I remember choosing magneiusm citrate in the beginning.

*Magnesium can be purchased as a dietary supplement in one of two basic forms: chelated or non-chelated. “Chelated” means connected with another molecule. In the case of magnesium, the most common chelates fall into the category of amino acid chelates. In these supplements, magnesium is attached to a building block of protein (called an amino acid). The most widely-available amino acid chelates are magnesium glycinate, magnesium aspartate, and magnesium taurate.

Magnesium can also be attached to an organic acid (like citrate) or to a fatty acid (like stearate). The non-chelated forms of magnesium include magnesium oxide, magnesium sulfate, and magnesium carbonate. There is some research evidence that the chelated forms of magnesium (like magnesium citrate) are better absorbed than the non-chelated forms (like magnesium oxide).
whfoods.com/genpage.php?tnam … nt&dbid=75*

Brenda

(NB from admin: this image links to a product this member has found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Thanks for your support!)