Salad Dressing?

I’m trying the migraine diet from “Heal your Headache.” Is anyone else on this diet?

I’m still in the initial phase so I’m trying really hard not to cheat. Has anyone found a salad dressing that is OK? I looked at a bunch this morrning. Many had MSG, most had onion. All of the vinegar based ones were using cider or balsamic vinegar which are on the “no” list. Am I doomed to salad with no dressing?

Any other tips for someone just starting the diet?

Thanks,

Dan

Hi Dan

I know exactly how you feel! This is my second time round on this strict diet. First time four years ago the diet completely cured me of my classic migraines and helped a lot with the vertigo. Recently I tried reintroducing foods but after doing well at first, I’ve gone badly backwards. It may not only be the food element but I’ve now gone back to following the diet to the letter.

I’ve not yet found a salad dressing that is ok. I was making my own with just virgin olive oil and lemon juice which was quite palatable once you got used to it but even that’s gone by the board now because of not having to have citrus. At present I’m looking into the possibility of using white vinegar and olive oil, as they are both permitted but personally I’m very suspicious of any vinegar so I’m being cautious.

To encourage you, as I know it’s so hard when you first start this diet, it does get easier! And for me following this diet made a bigger difference to me than any of the meds I’d tried over the course of many years. I only hope going back to it helps me out of my present dizzy difficulties!

BTW there are a couple of dressing recipes on page 224 of the book.

Hope the diet helps you, best wishes,

Brenda

— Begin quote from “Brenda”

Hi Dan

I know exactly how you feel! This is my second time round on this strict diet. First time four years ago the diet completely cured me of my classic migraines and helped a lot with the vertigo. Recently I tried reintroducing foods but after doing well at first, I’ve gone badly backwards. It may not only be the food element but I’ve now gone back to following the diet to the letter.

I’ve not yet found a salad dressing that is ok. I was making my own with just virgin olive oil and lemon juice which was quite palatable once you got used to it but even that’s gone by the board now because of not having to have citrus. At present I’m looking into the possibility of using white vinegar and olive oil, as they are both permitted but personally I’m very suspicious of any vinegar so I’m being cautious.

To encourage you, as I know it’s so hard when you first start this diet, it does get easier! And for me following this diet made a bigger difference to me than any of the meds I’d tried over the course of many years. I only hope going back to it helps me out of my present dizzy difficulties!

BTW there are a couple of dressing recipes on page 224 of the book.

Hope the diet helps you, best wishes,

Brenda

— End quote

I have found the diet has made a very big difference for me as I have been unable to tolerate any of the medications so far but the diet has helped especially with the headache part of this disease.

If you find something to make up a salad dressing and want to add a sweetener I would recommend Stevia which is natural and had no additives.

I buy Good Seasons dry salad dressing and make my own. I use olive oil and I was able to buy white wine vinegar at Shaw’s supermarket. It takes great.

What is dry salad dressing Joan? I’ve not come across that.

Thanks, Brenda

I am not sure where you are from but here in the Boston area they sell a salad dressing called “Good Season”. It is powered, in a package, basically just all the seasonings. You buy your own vinegar and oil and mix it up yourself. I buy white wine vinegar and olive oil and mix it myself at home. It is very good.

Thanks Joan. I’m in the UK but I’ve never come across anything like you describe. But then I’ve never looked! But I will now. Thanks.

Brenda

So if I am reading this correctly…
no red vinegar, cider vinegar or balsamic. But white vinegar is okay?
What about rice wine vinegar?