Seeking Balance/Rock-Steady Program

Has anyone here tried Joey Remenyi’s “Seeking Balance” or “Rock-Steady” online- program. She discusses “neuroplasticity”, and basically helps with what seems to be a mix of physical, cognitive, behavioral, mindfulness therapy. I would love to try it, but the price tag is super high! ($730ish USD, $950 AUS - she’s based in Melbourne I believe).

Here’s the website:
https://www.seekingbalance.com.au/

If anyone has had any interaction and hopefully success with this program would love to hear about it!

1 Like

Has anyone ever heard of the Rock Steady program for Vertigo by Joey Remenyi? I just heard about it from the VEDA Facebook page. They made a post with a link to her program for balance awareness week. Just curious to see if anyone has tried it. A lot of what she says makes sense and is something I have explored a little bit on my own but she is way more knowledgeable than me!

I’ve never really looked into it but I think if you Search’ this site you’ll find an archive thread about it. Sure I’ve noticed it in passing. Helen

I wonder if they paid VEDA to advertise … :thinking:

1 Like

Sorry, you lost me?

It’s a several hundred dollar course. Just sayin’

In that case they probably did.

I reckon I/we could write one, whatever it is. Some exercise prog?

Oh, it this associated with no contact Boxing and plp with Parkinsons. It was all on my local Tv channel few mnths back, Plp who won’t already too unsteady improved dramatically. Cd make sense. Think concensus was you need to start it very early on. Only looked at it in relation to Parkinsons.

Actually on further thought the group camaraderie would also help alot but if not available gentle Tai Chi for older adults type is non contact version too that would help balance and more easily available classes too.

Could be a combo of psychological coaching and exercise I imagine? Please let us know if you end up doing it.

Merged into other thread

Hey guys found this link today and thought others would find it really helpful :slight_smile: Vestibular Migraine VS. Persistent Postural Perceptual Dizziness (PPPD) | Seeking Balance Int. - YouTube

1 Like

Thanks for sharing!

Mixed feelings about this video:

Pros:

• positive messages about being able to get better (which I agree with)
  • talks about how you’ve not got something terribly wrong with you (which I also agree with, though it’s hard to see when you are in the middle of it)
  • talks about “neuro-plasticity” - the brains ability to work with what it’s given which allows the body to work around vestibular injury and ultimately overcome it.

But on the other hand:

• what’s her agenda? (selling you her services perhaps?)
  • typical ‘wavy arm’ non-specific explanations for things using non-scientific language (“short-circuits” … oh paleeeeze!)
  • not a great distinction made between the two conditions: MAV can be 24/7 and constant too. So I learnt very little here. Perhaps not her fault though and perhaps there is a conflict/overlap between the two definitions.
  • talks about “neuro-plasticity” - studies have been conducted on people with controlled, stable alterations to their vestibular system and they found the brain compensated within a few weeks. This is why I believe the root cause of MAV is an unstable issue: it has to be or you would have compensated, right?! One relevant study discussed here, i’ll try and find the other:

https://www.theguardian.com/education/2012/nov/12/improbable-research-seeing-upside-down

I guess I can become frustrated whenever I hear these kind of superficial discussions/explanations of VM/MAV. I believe we are mostly discussing it wrongly - all the emphasis has been on the brain and my bet is this will turn out to be unreasonable as we learn more …

Both MAV/VM & PPPD seem to have been derived from categorising conditions observed in the clinic based on observations - it’s not as if these are “bottom up” analyses, e.g. you have a broken leg so you have … a broken leg … we are observing the outcome of whatever the root cause is, not the root cause itself. Migraine is not a given, it’s is an outcome. ‘The outcome of what’ is what needs to be determined and just giving someone a label of ‘having a migraine’ is quite frankly lazy and superficial - why are they having a migraine?!

1 Like
  • typical ‘wavy arm’ non-specific explanations for things using non-scientific language (“short-circuits” … oh paleeeeze!)

I like her explanations and the positive spirit she has about this. The only thing that doesn’t click to me yet is how neuroplasticity can get rid of migraines. I agree with our mood and approach to the condition fires the symptoms, so if we can keep calm, we can at least make some medical decisions easier (i. e., not panic about taking medication).

I think most of people in this board has had to take some sort of medication to go through the rough parts, and then maybe the brain/body starts relearning the normal sensations.

Now, what causes migraine? Who knows, for me I think was a hormonal change/ stress/ lack of sleep at 4 months post partum. My period is pretty much back to normal, I am sleeping way better, still my brain hasn’t realized what is going on. Still rocking here. So, I think in some cases there is a genetic predisposition and there is a trigger. In other cases, I think there is a mechanical issue (ear injury/ tumor). I am saying this so not to panic and think that there is something ELSE wrong with me that we have not figured out.

1 Like

You definitely don’t need to panic, and in any case that wouldn’t help :slight_smile:

And this I believe is the crux: migraine is a result of a stress on the brain. The stress level will decrease over time as neuro-plasticity takes place.

However, as my reference shows, this should take weeks, not years, so this is why I suspect an instability is at the root of it all.

2 Likes

and how do you define instability?

The physiology of the body is made up of a (presumably huge) set of interwoven control processes, eg processes to maintain body temperature. In a fully healthy subject these processes keep attributes within evolved boundaries to maintain peak function. This state of stability is called homeostasis. In an individual experiencing a migraine I wonder if some attributes have broken through the practical safe operating envelope resulting in aberrant behaviours including dizziness and migraine. I imagine this has something to do with a large level of divergence from learned correlations (I suspect you might feel dizzy because one sense is not correlating with an anticipated, learned response) I wonder if this is related to the process of ‘learning’ which is meant to maintain ‘tune’ (homeostasis) but is pushed beyond its capability so the body ends up in a state that is essentially, to an extent, out of control, aka unstable.

It’s a jolly good thing that there must somehow be a limiting factor involved and that clearly individuals recover from attacks and migraines can completely disappear. Would be nice if medicine could find a way of speeding up this process (further?) though so it was a lot quicker than current patient experience!

Well, from all the reading I’ve done I think it’s pretty safe to assume that migraine (the straight type, NOT MAV) ceases in a very high percentage of migraine in women a few years post menopause so one wonders what stabilises. Helen

1 Like

Helen, that’s an excellent example of a big step change that could easily upset homeostasis.

Growing old ‘gracefully’ could be a slow, steady and uneventful process in which the body maintains stability via constant tuning. However, when faced with a big change in the status quo one might easily imagine a set of processes going out of kilter and having to be realigned.

And without doubt a big step change by way of childbirth, or approaching menopause (peri menopause) was the cause of the instability that kicked it off in the first place. Unfortunately been unable to find any comment/statistics relating to whether MAV subsides similarly. Helen

yes, a little quicker would be nice. :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks @turnitaround I definatley don’t agree with all of it it was more the symptoms and hope it gives people to be honest .

As for migraine and this illness I have researched so much and still can’t find a decent logical explanation :confused:

1 Like