Starting verapamil

So I’m starting verapamil tonight, I’m super anxious. I’m gonna cut the 120 sr in half and start with 60mg. I woke up today and felt absolutely horrible extreme nausea which I hadn’t had in a while. Had to sit through a training class all day and all I was thinking, is this is crazy I’ve got to try something, plus I’ll have some feedback for hain next month about if it helps or not. Please tell me im not gonna feel weird after I take it or suffer any side effects that make me feel worse…

Hey, I’m feeling exactly th same about the topamax… But we have to be brave and try it as it might be the answer! Also, be brave about side effects… I felt horrendous on Ami for the first week, but I’m glad I stuck it out… So I’m ready and have braced myself, taken a few days off work and am ready for whatever Topirimate throws at me. :smiley: I figure if something’s really seriously wrong, we will know and just get yourself to the hospital! Good luck xx

Thanks, I’ll be thinking about you when I swallow the first pill! I only have two days off so I hope that’s enough, can’t take any more time off work right now :frowning: Was the ami not working for you? I think my second line is nortriptyline, but maybe I won’t need it, we’ll see.
Good luck with the topamax!

Good luck Pharmgirl - Let me know how it does!! I haven’t had any side effects that I can detect on 120 mg of verap and I started with the whole capsule.

Alli

Thanks! Was the capsule extended release as well? I read back through a few of your posts, it looks like your not sure if it’s working yet? I think my next step will be to increase the lexapro I’m already on, bc my anxiety is sucky right now and I know that’s not helping!
I did take the 60mg last night but then I didn’t sleep much from the anxiety so today I do have a bad headache, hung over feeling, not sure if it’s from the med or lack of sleep, hmm

Yes, I started at 120 mg ER - 1 pill a day and I didn’t bother dumping it or anything as I felt like the chances of side effects were relatively low… I am not increasing the dose (starting today) to 2 pills a day and I am also just going to go for it and take another whole pill - now I will do one in the morning and one in the evening. It hasn’t effected my sleep or anything. Its strange bc in some ways I think it might be helping with the 24 hour rocking but then I have had these other changing symptoms - the depth perception thing and spinning… so I don’t know what is going on. Just know that the neuro wants me to increase dose and give it a full 5 weeks.

Is the lexapro helping your anxiety?? I am really battling that now as well. Since this all began for me in early August I feel like I have full blown generalized anxiety disorder and/or panic disorder now…and sometimes I do wonder how much that is effecting all of this. I mean I do know that the dizziness and weird feelings started first but then it was almost simultaneous with the panic.

I also find that when I get a new feeling or symptom - like this weird vertical hold thing I start obsessing about it and can almost feel myself bringing it on.

What form is your anxiety taking?? I know how horrible that is…

Alli

I am glad you started Verapamil Pharmgirl, its a big step when you start your first med. I felt super anxious when I first started Topamx(my first med) it ended up failing, I felt like it increased my anxiety and made me a little depressed. I know the anxiety part could have just been me…but the depression part I know can be a side effect of the pill although its supposedly rare. I have heard great things about verapamil, and there are few success stories on top when people have used this med.

I have also been suffering anxiety along with this thing, even though I had anxiety before, I have always been very OCD, but it had been much worse when this thing started, because I just had no idea why I was dizzy all day everyday for weeks. When it subsided a little, my anixety did a little bit, but not completely. I am anxious over my future a lot, when I think about the possibility of being like this forever, I get very upset but then I tell myself, people get better, or get symptoms under control to where you barely notice it, even though it may take a long time.

I have been wanting to try Lexapro, I had bad side effects on Celexa on Zoloft so Lexapro would next, but Im afraid of increased dizziness. With you already being on it, I doubt that would be a problem for you. Best of luck, keep us updated.
Rebecca