I see lots of postings on here about panic and anxiety, but nothing about steps one can try to prevent a full-blown attack.
Therefore, I am providing this list of known (and maybe some unknown) items that have helped me and my friends over the years. Aside from #1, these are in no particular order.
- Slow down overall and take several slow and steady breaths - in through the mouth, out through the nose
- Remember - you are not dying, even though it may feel like it.
- Count backwards from 100 or other number. Look at a calendar and count the days.
- Think of some place you love to be in and name off all the things you love about it
- Name off, in order, all of the albums of your favorite music artist. Substituting movies/actors is another option.
- Get up and move. Take a walk, clean the house, lift weights, do some stretches.
- Get angry - channel that adrenaline surge into something and scream about it (note - not a good idea at work).
- Look at an object and study all the fine details about it
- Look at your hand and notice all the lines in it (don’t laugh - this saved me countless times)
- Talk to someone about any subject and get involved in the conversation
- Attach a rubber band to your wrist and snap it hard when the feelings start
- Sing a song, Laugh at a joke
- Drink cold water
- Cry your eyes out
- Watch something fun on TV
- Think about what you are doing right now - not a minute ago, not 5 minutes in the future - but right now
- Pretend you are yelling at a person and give them a good “KNOCK IT OFF” (or worse) in your mind. Or verbalize.
- See #2.
- Know that what you are feeling is nothing more than misfired adrenaline.
- Know that, no matter how horrid this feels, the feelings do eventually end.
- Know that you are not alone in your feelings.
I invite anyone else to add theirs.
Thanks and may these help someone else out there.