Swimming pools and wave machines

How do folks get on in ‘waves’ be it in the sea or at the pool? I take my 4 year old stepson swimming every Sunday (very proud to say I’ve taught him how to swim sans armbands and now he’s doing his first ever dives!!) - anyway - there is a wave machine at the pool that he loves (me too) but I notice every Sunday night when I go to bed, I get that ‘motion’ swaying/rocking again like when you’ve been on a boat.

Now, this is nothing compared to the hardcore rocking that I had when MAV first hit me, but it’s all the same thing but to a much lesser degree. It’s really annoying :evil:

The buoyancy of the water takes away my dizziness symptoms, but they come back with force when I get out of the pool. I have the same experience with driving a car, in that I feel better driving, but worse again when I step out. The longer the drive, the worse the kickback afterwards. Lately, there seems to be a delay, that I don’t immediately feel more intense rocking, but it comes on a bit later. I am toying with using short bits of pool or driving time as a therapy. Anyhow, this is the mal de débarquement syndrome part of it all. Like you, I have 24/7 dizzyness and no discernible migraine headache, though I do have tinnitus.

Hi Muppo

The other day a friend came round and shared her experience as she was in a swimming aerobics class. She has mild Menieres and gets a bit of visual vertigo when on heights, slopes etc. In this class she was absolutely fine, enjoying it, until everyone was told to do a particular movement with their arms in the water that created a wave effect over and over. My friend said she became dizzy and totally disorientated and had trouble getting out of the pool. She mentioned it to the instructor who said, “Oh, that’s motion sickness!” It lasted for some hours and eventually turned into a bad headache.

I know it wasn’t quite the same as a wave machine so doesn’t mimic your experience exactly but when I read your post I thought of her tale and thought I’d share it with you. Personally, I couldn’t even imagine coping with a wave machine! Just thinking about it makes me feel dizzy! :smiley:

Brenda

I can’t go swimming I haven’t been in a long time. It really pisses me off as my kids love swimming but I feel beyond weird in the pool my head just goes wacky! When I get out I’m swaying all over the place even in a normal pool with no waves! I’m going to give another go as I’m very stable with my MAV now.
Wish I knew what caused it and it does hold me back I used to go swimming a lot with the kids.

I was told by Nicki Harris (Dr S Physio) that indoor swimming pools should be avoided for now. Probably because of the lights xx

Hello lovely lady!

I recently went on a boat trip, spent an hour in the water snorkelling, feeling great. The second I got back on the boat, I couldn’t stand, my head throbbed and I felt so sick. The boat was still, so I don’t think it was sea sickness, and was definately the swimming/snorkelling that set it off.

I guess swimming in any condition, is particularly hard on the vestibular system. Waves are just like waving a red rag to a bull.

Good news though, that you don’t get the rocking motion when you go to bed every night- that’s a big step forward. :slight_smile:

Hope you are managing to alleviate some of the stress from your life over there in NZ.

Love X

— Begin quote from __"LOVE"__*

…and Muppo, you look so pretty in your picture! You remind me of the actress Leslie Mann.

— End quote

How sweet you are… you’ve just put a smile on my face after a sh*tty day. Thank you darl. :mrgreen:

— Begin quote from “missmoss83”

Hello lovely lady!

I recently went on a boat trip, spent an hour in the water snorkelling, feeling great. The second I got back on the boat, I couldn’t stand, my head throbbed and I felt so sick. The boat was still, so I don’t think it was sea sickness, and was definately the swimming/snorkelling that set it off.

I guess swimming in any condition, is particularly hard on the vestibular system. Waves are just like waving a red rag to a bull.

Good news though, that you don’t get the rocking motion when you go to bed every night- that’s a big step forward. :slight_smile:

Hope you are managing to alleviate some of the stress from your life over there in NZ.

Love X

— End quote

Hello sweetie

Hope you’re doing well. Yes I know the whole pool thing is prob a bad idea but now I’m hooked because of how far I’ve got my 4 yr old stepson. I mean he just turned 4 in April and now he is practically diving (occasional belly flop included :smiley: ) but it’s amazing and now I feel like I’m training a future Olympian!! He can also swim 8 meters under water no armbands!! Ok I’m ranting… But I feel I cannot let MAV stand in the way of this now - it’s too important (says she who cant stand kids hahaha).

The thing that freaks me out is when one of the waves hits me side on and slams into my ear and my ear gets filled with water then I start to worry and try to bash it out of my head like a crazy ass’d freak woman! :shock:

As for the other stress in NZ - it’s still off the charts. My partner’s ex just haunts us daily. She’s madder than a cut snake. She upset me so bad yesterday, I got really sick and couldnt make it to my (sewing) class last night. My head was raging and I was mashed up. I need to find a way to fend this woman off and not let her get to me but how? I just wish I was one of these people that could buffer things off and not succumb to them :roll: I’m my own worst enemy where that’s concerned. Sigh.

Hugs xx