Tinnitus increase after vaccine HELP.

I got my first Moderna vaccine on 9/18. The 24/7 dizziness got way worse 5 days after and lasted for about 3-4 days and shortly thereafter my tinnitus increased. Iā€™m not able to sleep, concentrate. Iā€™m becoming suicidal because there is no support or good news out there that this will return to baseline levels. Am I alone here? Feels that way. Please help

1 Like

My dizziness increased and retuned back to how it was. I didnā€™t have tinnitus with it but I didnā€™t have any to begin with. There might be some research about it on Dr. Hains site

Im thinking itā€™s temporary!! Please hang in therehttps://dizziness-and-balance.com/disorders/infections/covid19.html

1 Like

Megan, have you seen your doctor yet? Maybe a steroid taper?
I have no idea what goes on with the body when itā€™s reacting to the CoVid vaccine to cause this to happenā€¦. So little is known.
I just wanted to tell you that Iā€™m so sorry youā€™re going through this!
Please hang in there and get to your doctor to see about any treatments they may advise.
Please stay strong!

1 Like

Thank you but that article is about Covid, not the vaccine

Been to Dr. Zero help

If you scroll down itā€™s about COVID vaccine

1 Like

Thank you. Doesnā€™t sound too encouraging. It says nothing about recovery.

Ouch. Some scientists and doctors say the inner ear is ā€œimmune activeā€ so the pressure goes up inside it to ā€œflushā€ the bad stuff out. The increased pressure causes the tinnitus (and the dizziness). The fact that sometimes you can hear your pulse or can increase the tinnitus by clenching your jaw gives credence to this ā€œpressureā€ explanation.

Thatā€™s why this may happen when you get attacked by a pathogen or the body thinks you are (via a vaccine)

The good news is that should be reversible: the immune system calms down, so should the pressure?

Personally Iā€™ve had the tinnitus from week two of MAV and whilst itā€™s fluctuated itā€™s never gone away. Iā€™ve just had to live with it. After a while you get used to it but itā€™s extremely upsetting to begin with.

You may be more lucky. Hang in there! Give it a few months for the effects of the vaccine to calm down.

Itā€™s so frustrating how poor humans are at treating these conditions!

3 Likes

Like the new CPRG drugs the whole Covid situation, both the condition and the various vaccines, all far too new for there to be much verified and peer reviewed information yet available. All drug side effects are potentially fully reversible. The chance your tinnitus wonā€™t go away if itā€™s a result of the Covid vaccine must be minute. Hang in there and meantime try to think about other things to take your mind off of it. Donā€™t panic. Taking a dose or two of something as simple as Aspirin or Paracetamol will wind mine up every time but it soon settles once Iā€™ve stopped. Iā€™m not a doctor but obviously itā€™s somewhat different with the Covid vaccine. I understand it takes several weeks to give protection so presumably itā€™s pretty active in the body meantime. Could be you have a while to wait. Just keep telling yourself drugs side effects are reversible and try to get on with your life. Try block it out with distraction.

3 Likes

I have had super loud tinnitus since a bad ear infection in 2015. To start with it used to get me down really badly, but tbh the only time I notice it now is if it gets worse due to many factors, or if I draw attention to it, such as reading your post, I realize it is still there. Distraction is the best. Try not to dwell on it. A hearing aid actually makes it go, but I hate wearing it. I am hoping yours has gone now or at least diminished in intensity

1 Like

Thatā€™s really interesting.

Iā€™ve mentioned this in another thread, but by taking a long phonecall in my bad ear I can make it go ā€¦ and it stays away for a few seconds after I finish the call ā€¦ then comes back ā€¦

My theory is there is a pressure increase in that ear and that pressure increase dampens the vibrations of the oval window of the inner ear and the ear reacts by raising the gain of the high frequency neurons, hence the hiss. If it was low frequencies being boosted youā€™d hear a rumble or a roar.

When I subject the ear to the right mix of louder noise (mostly middle and high frequencies), it cuts the gain back to normal and the tinnitus disappears.

Iā€™m kind of tempted to try an aid out to confirm this works ā€¦ a good one would allow you to tailor the right frequencies and track this on a smart phone ā€¦

What were your symptoms of the ear infection? Did you feel any fluid inside your ear?

I also lost the majority of the hearing in that ear. Plus when I have had a photo taken of the eardrum there is drops of moisture on the eardrum. Whenever I fly, I ask the flight attendant for a ā€˜hot cupā€™ to place over the ear, otherwise I get severe pain in that ear during and after landing. A hot cup was actually introduced to me many years ago by a very kind flight attendant. You stuff a cup with plenty of tissue paper then cover the tissues with very hot water and place it over your affected it. It somehow helps to reduce the pressure. I now take an empty small travel flask and a plastic cup and kitchen rolls and after going through security ask for one of the coffee shops to fill it with boiling water, then I can make my own ā€˜hot cupā€™ without troubling the flight attendants.
My ear infection happened one day, when I felt fluey and had earache I stayed in bed just that day. . A week or two later I woke up with tinnitus and had lost the hearing in that ear, so I went to the doctor who gave me some ear drops as she said the ear canal was so swollen she couldnā€™t see the ear drum. after a few days, I went back and the doctor then gave me an antibiotic, Once or twice I got my hearing back very briefly soon afterwards, but it was only momentarily. Which I found very strange.

1 Like

Very strange indeed ā€¦ that suggests it is reversible. I wish you the best of luck and thank you for detailing your experience.

The tinnitus has never gone, but does get worse with certain situations, when I have a lot of stress physically or emotionally.

1 Like

Yep, mine gets worse after bad sleep or with stress.

Is your hearing affected at all? and did anything trigger your tinnitus

Yes, I have a very slight hearing loss in that ear, I suspect (as with almost all cases of tinnitus), and it distorts with some noises.

However, my social hearing is 100%, itā€™s just annoying.

I got my tinnitus a week into MAV ā€¦ I had been feeling a fluid sensation in my ear for 5 months previously which would clear as I got up out of bed, but no tinnitus up to that point. The ear doctors couldnā€™t identify any infection, but the fluid was real. It actually took a year or two for the fluid build up over night to finally go away completely.

Iā€™ve read the little bones can expand on getting wet and this can cause conductive hearing loss, though that was never diagnosed. The dizziness and loss of balance suggests the issue was (and to some extent still is) related to the inner ear. That said thereā€™s also a possibility of some ETD dysfunction and I wonder if even the Tonic Tensor Tympani muscle might be the root of the problem?

My full History is discussed in my Diary accessed from my User Card you can get to by clicking my Avatar. My official, medical diagnoses were MAV and Secondary Hydrops.