Tinnitus Spikes

I have tinnitus 24/7 but within the past few weeks, the volume has gone up and the tones have changed some. I started noticing the change about 1 week after a classic migraine (lasted for 3 days). Has anyone else go through this? If so, did you tinnitus ever return to baseline levels?

Hey @Dizzyaf . I have tinnitus 24/7 as well, and have been having more frequent, idk what you call them, since my recent vertigo attack/week and half long rebound migraine. Basically, I lose hearing in 1 ear for 5-10 seconds along with tinnitus, and that happens maybe 5 times a day now.
Unfortunately, I don’t have insight as to whether it may return to baseline but I understand what you’re going through.

1 Like

I’m nearly 7 years in and still have tinnitus spikes and troughs. The worst it gets for me is when it gets pulsative and in rhythm, presumably, with my heart beat. Of late it’s almost always like that when I wake up in the morning. I can sometimes detect a very small amount of nystagmus when this happens btw, but it’s nothing like as bad as it was during peak MAV.

I used to get terrible pulsative spikes if I bent over. This doesn’t happen now. So I can only surmise my ear has got a bit better over time and/or my diet is a lot more sensible. It could still do with sorting itself out a lot more though!!

Make sure you give up or at least limit caffeine, alcohol and sugar. They can really make your tinnitus climb like crazy! Alcohol is poison anyway so probably for the best …

Do everything to improve your sleep. This imho helps your brain filter out the tinnitus during the day.

They say that drinking plenty of water (within sensible limits!) can help with ear chemistry so perhaps try to improve hydration? I ought to get back into that. Might fix my morning pulses!

Last of all do everything to reduce your stress levels.

3 Likes

Thank you! I still drink coffee. I know it’s so stupid. I just can’t give it up!

I also just recently got a promotion and my stress levels have been substantially up. My tinnitus spike started around the same time. That’s the logical explanation I suppose. I don’t eat sugar, dairy or gluten and overall, keep a very healthy balanced diet full of mostly veggies and a little good quality meat.

I don’t drink either and consume 1/2 my body weight in ounces of H2O. I still manage to push through CrossFit workouts as well.

2 Likes

Yes you can. At least get rid of the addiction anyway: start by moving to decaf.

I’m more and more convinced this condition is linked with anxiety and ditching caffeine is removing one more weapon from that enemy.

2 Likes

Agreed. I quit cold turkey and I was ADDICTED! For years. It was tough going for 2 weeks but now I don’t even think about it anymore. Anything to curtail a vestibular attack right

1 Like

@Belindy I did this recently and was a bit rough due to rebounds, but you can do it @Dizzyaf ! I was also rebounding off of quick fix meds and not on a diet so my experience could be different than yours. Just picked up a ton of herbal teas and they’re so nice. I appreciate having a hot drink in the morning and am already not missing coffee (at least for now :upside_down_face: )

2 Likes