To have caffeine or no caffeine?

I don’t know, I’ve been depriving myself for the last two years being off caffeine because my Neurologist says it’s the worst the thing for migraine and now I see this? :slight_smile:

dailymail.co.uk/health/artic … e-two.html

I think I am going to have to take it with a liberal pinch of salt…

I have to agree with this. Dr. Hain told me a couple of cups a day was no big deal, and I’ve found this to be true. In fact it is quite helpful with my cognitive functions too…especially on a Monday morning :slight_smile:

Hey guys, I don’t think there’s any hard rule when it comes to coffee. It either destroys a migraineur (like myself), aids the situation, or has no effect. It’s one of those triggers that needs to be tested. My guess is that more often than not it should probably be avoided for most given the effect from caffeine on an already hyped brain.

Scott

I gave up caffeine immediately when I was diagosed. No iced tea or coffee or soda. I actually gave up most everything on the Migraine Diet list. It made no difference at all. I recently started enjoying a cup here and there in the
mornings, and I think it actually helped clear the fog bit. Go figure!!
:slight_smile:
Kelley

That’s my experience, but Scott is right, it’s different for all of us…just like any food/drink issue. Right now I’m creeping back into drinking beer again since I don’t notice any problems afterwards.

Funny timing with this question. I just did a no caffeine trial this past week.

Two years ago, I went without caffeine for a few months and the elimination played a critical part in my gaining control over my vertigo. I slowly added it back to combat fatigue and brain fog. I decided to attempt my recent trial to see if I could further improve my overall lingering symptoms, but all it did was make me tired. So bottom line for me, the caffeine had to go when I was suffering from vertigo but in moderation it helps with brain fog and fatigue. I do have to be careful with it though, because sometimes it will flare up my symptoms if my other triggers are stacked pretty high.

I agree it is an individual thing. I think everyone sick with MAV should try eliminating caffeine to determine their own reaction. Caffeine has the potential for a big impact, either good or bad.

Coffee just about kills me. One cup and I may as well go home and get into bed. Its the only food I have ever been 100% sure is a trigger.

Hey Marci,

You make a good point about moderation. I’ve noticed over the years that I can usually handle a known trigger in small doses here and there most of the time. But, of course, as soon as I feel much better, I indulge thinking “I’ll be OK” and can then get slammed. I’ve done this with chocolate cake at a birthday party. I had one little slice then another and soon I thought well I’ve probably already gone over the threshold so I may as well go nuts and eat half the cake to make up for the last 2 years on the chocolate wagon. :lol:

Scott

I had my first half cup of decaf coffee yesterday…it has been two years since I had any and it sure was good. My problem is it is hard to have just one so I will probably go back to my hot herbal tea which seems to work okay for me…or as okay as anything works.

— Begin quote from “scott”

Hey Marci,

You make a good point about moderation. I’ve noticed over the years that I can usually handle a known trigger in small doses here and there most of the time. But, of course, as soon as I feel much better, I indulge thinking “I’ll be OK” and can then get slammed. I’ve done this with chocolate cake at a birthday party. I had one little slice then another and soon I thought well I’ve probably already gone over the threshold so I may as well go nuts and eat half the cake to make up for the last 2 years on the chocolate wagon. :lol:

Scott

— End quote

What is it about chocolate cake, anyway? It kicks my butt too. I can eat a chocolate candy bar and not have a reaction. I can eat white cake and not have an immediate reaction (eventually, the carb load or wheat or whatever will get to me if I keep eating it or similar foods) but chocolate cake kicks my @ss! I’ve done the same thing as you thinking I can get away with a little bit when I’m feeling pretty good at a party, and then BAM! So, no more chocolate cake for me! :cry:

Far out - there’s so much contradictory information about migraine. They may as well just say: You will feel awful in an infinite number of ways and pretty much anything may trigger a migraine for you. Good luck finding out what those triggers may be. You may or may not respond to dozens of different medications and any dosage or combination. Again, good luck.

2 Likes