Too Much Car Driving = Dizziness?

Hi Everyone,

I work as a Substitute so there are various sites i drive too work atā€¦ but there is one particular site that is about 35-40 minutes away and my boss needed me to go work there which is on occasion. So three weeks in a row iā€™ve been driving 35-40 minutes to my job and then at the end of the day drive another 35-40 minutes to return home. I noticed the last few days when waking from sleep and getting out of bed in the morningā€¦there was some mild Vertigo. I honestly believe the Increased in drivingā€¦strain on the eyes and brain has brought this on.

Has anyone here relate to this experience? The roads are straight (on the freeway) so itā€™s not motion sicknessā€¦itā€™s just the length of the drives ā€¦going there & returning. Wears me out!

Joe

Hi Joe,

Depending on how symptomatic I happen to be, driving can really hammer the nails in. On an extended trip, it can do me in even if Iā€™m not feeling too bad. The Atlanta trip in July was so brutal. Even as a passenger, I was getting slayed. But, on the other hand, when I drove about 1500 miles north in Western Australia fully loaded up on Cipramil in 2006, I was fine ā€“ even after a cold. Overall though, I am much better behind the wheel of a car than I was years ago after the initial Big Bang. Driving was not an option then and would leave my head buzzing as though a charged rod was rammed into my skull. Awful.

Hope you are feeling better when you read this.

Scott 8)

I dontā€™ drive much but itā€™s one of the scariest things to me right now esp when coming to a stop. I could never drive on a freeway if i get up over 35-40 mph i start getting really dizzy.

Scott you donā€™t that the Celexa any more right? I wonder if it will help me if i try it. It calms you down i take it? What do you take Joseph and Scott are you taking anything since last weekā€™s headache?

I used to love driving but not any more i think it just screws me up for the day. Iā€™m at work now and my head feels pretty icky but yesterday i was a passenger and i wasnā€™t so bad - there is a cold weather front comign in though - lots of wind :frowning:

Joseph hope you feel better.

chris

I can tolerate driving better now that I am on topamax but I still have limits, about 3 hours and I am done, I really pay for it the next few days. An interesting note is that I can tolerate driving a lot better than I can riding as a passenger. Until I got the MAV under some control I viewed the car as a monster that inflicted torture and would get in the thing only in the direst of circumstances.

I think mine is a lot of anxiety and i do much better being the passenger most of the time.
sometimes even that is hard.
chris

For me itā€™s when i drive too much for a number of days or weeks straight i begin to feel increased dizzyness/motion and with mild vertigo. I guess itā€™s just too much strain on the eyes and brainā€¦or at least thatā€™s my take on it. I had the whole weekend and today to recoup and iā€™m already beginning to feel better. In generalā€¦ i have no problems with driving or short tripsā€¦itā€™s only when itā€™s daily and continous for a few weeks at a time.

Thanks everyone for your input.

Joe