Topamax and Heartburn?

Hi, I’ve been taking Topamax for 10 days now (started at half the minimum with 12.5 mg to begin with as suggested by pharmacist) and I’ve been having heartburns in the last couple of days (it started maybe around day 4-5 of taking the medication). Never really had them before (maybe a bit of digestion problems now and then with a really big supper, but no heartburn).

Did you ever experience that with Topamax? If so, what did you do? Did it go away by itself after a while?

So far, I think my headaches have increased (may also be because I stopped Elavil - that was somewhat working for the headaches but was giving me too many side effects), a bit of tingling… but really nothing that makes me want to stop since I know the results may take weeks before it actually happen… It’s just the MAJOR heartburn WOW!!! It doesn’t even completely go away with over-the-counter heartburn medication.

Thanks for sharing!

Hi,
I too have heartburn and headaches with Topamax. It peaked when I reached 50mg. I’m now at 75mg. There’s really nothing that helps me. I just try to have a very light dinner before taking two before bed time.
Good luck!

Hi, I experience heartburn especially when I increased my dose of Topamax to 100mg - have been on this dose for about 4 months now. I drink peppermint tea which have been told is good for digestion?? But basically I stay away from fatty foods and try to eat early before going to bed. Good Luck with it.

Thanks for your imput :slight_smile: I think it is actually worse if I just ate before going to bed… So I’ll need new habits I guess… At least I know I’m not the only one experiencing this…