Topamax and Klonopin

Has anyone taken the two (Topamax and Klonopin) together? I have taken Klonopin several months ago and it reduced my spins and calmed my rocking a little for a few hours but it is not long before it returns to the same high symptoms. About a month ago I stopped Klonopin and I began Topamax. I am up to 50 mg. I must give credit where it is due. Topamax is an amazing HEADACHE drug. I have not had a headache/ regular migraine in 3 weeks. I usually got them at least every other day. It has completely changed my life by getting rid of the headaches but it has not stopped the rocking; it has slightly increase the rocking with a few more drop spins. I don’t want to complain because I know this drug takes a lot of time to work itself out in your system so I am patiently awaiting and hoping it will help the vertigo aspect of it but somedays the rocking has been so high I want to take a Klonopin to calm it but I am afraid to mix the two. Please let me know if anyone out there has taken the two together with or without side effects and what they were.

Yes, I take both of them together. I started on the Klonopin first and use it to regulate the balance. I take .25 mg a day, 1/2 of pill in the a.m. and 1/2 in the p.m. I didn’t begin the Topamax until about 10 months after that and now am currently taking both. My dose of the Klonopin is the same. My current dose of the Topamax is 75 mg (was up to 100 but had to go down because the cognitive side effects were too much.) I gradually titrated up my dosage of the Topamax, going up 15 mg each week. And yes, I had a lot of side effects initially on the Topamax, but with time, they tended to go away and now are very minimal/tolerable. (Do a search on the board under Topamax and you can read about them.) I think the combo of Klonopin/Topamax is working for me generally. Keep in mind, however, that my balance issues were not too bad to begin with. I did have to include taking Tofranil with the Klonopin after the first three months for thee balance, as the Klonopin was not enough to help with it (meaning the Klonopin alone was ok the first three months, but then my balance problems returned, thus why we added the Tofranil at 10 mg), but I have recently stopped talking it with my doctor’s approval as I don’t think I need it anymore.

And yes, you do have to give meds, particularly Topamax, a long trial period to see if it is going to work for you. However, I see no reason why you couldn’t take Klonopin with it now if your doctor approves.

Good luck!

Hi I know this post was a while ago but did you find that the Topamax helped with the rocking after a while or did it just deal with the headache?