Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation Therapy (TMS)

Dear All,

I haven’t been on here for a while, so a quick update:

1. I tried amitritptyline but switched to Nori for fewer side effects. I am still on 100mg and whilst it has helped with my mood, it has done little for the MAV,.

2. I trialled flunnarizine (in addition to the Nori) for 3 months. I saw a modest improvement but nowhere near enough.

3. However - and this is the reason for my post - in 2 weeks time I am due to start a 10-week trial of TMS at Queen Square in London (the National Hospital for Neurology and Neurosurgery). My neurologist has negotiated a free trial with the manufacturers now that a portable TMS device has finally been approved by NICE and is on the market for the first time (its not yet available on the NHS). He tells me that open-label studies have shown promising results for both migraine and chronic dizziness, including MDDS.

I will see how I get on and keep you posted. I am managing my own expectations at the moment, but it would be pretty awesome to beat this thing without having to endure any of the drug side-effects.

Wishing you all the best,

Jack

Hi, good luck with the trial !!! Hope you have great success with it. Keep us posted
Anne x

Ditto! Please keep us posted.

Are you referring to the Cefaly device? I’ve been curious about it too - way too expensive for me to try right now though. Hopefully it will come down in price eventually!

I’m actually curious about something with it that maybe you or someone else has gotten or will get an answer to - for so long, it was touted over and over again that TMS is not safe to use above the neck. Now we have exactly that - TMS on the head - so what changed? It is a different frequency and/or intensity of electrical impulses? Or was it decided that TMS was fine all along for the head?

(NB from admin: these images link to products members have found helpful and at the same time helps fund the site: As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. More recommended products here. Thanks for your support!)

No, I’m not referring to the Cefaly device, which has very little evidence base and which,according to my neurologist, can be purchased on eBay and is frequently misused. I will be trialling a true TMS device made by an American company callled E-Neura. It has shown good results in double-blind studies but cannot be purchased: you rent it on a monthly basis. It’s not available on the NHS at the moment. If you google E-Neura and SpringTMS you should find it.

Jack

best of luck - be really interested to hear the results.