Triggers and elevator feeling

I have really been paying close attention in finding my triggers. I was feeling pretty good for a few days in a row. All of a suudden the weather jumped to 60 degrees from 30 degree weather and below. The snow pretty much melted and today it is about 40-45 degrees. We are expecting rain today. I feel dizzy again and my “dips” - elevator feelings are back. I have read all your posts regarding seasons and weather. I am definitely thinking it is a trigger of mine. I think barometric pressure is a huge factor for me. So far, I have noticed my triggers are - weather changes, stress, not enough sleep, caffiene, but I am not sure what foods trigger me yet. I am thinking sugar is, but I am not sure. I do have a question, does anyone know if Verapamil helps diminish the actual “dips”, where you feel like the ground is dropping? It has helped me with the rocking and general dizziness. Dr. Hain had mentioned a different med for the “dips” on top of the Verapamil. I don’t want to load up on a bunch of meds.

Nance

Since you posted a while back & haven’t gotten any replies, I’ll put my two cents in :slight_smile:

I remember when I was on Verapamil it helped a lot with the dizzies & vertigo. I was sorry to have to stop taking it but it caused headache for me (plus it didn’t get along with my Zocor cholesterol med).

I agree - I wouldn’t want to load up on several different meds either. I was on Effexor & Topamax at the same time & felt like a zombie. Instead of helping fight depression (with Effexor), I was getting more depressed because I couldn’t think clearly & didn’t have enough energy to do anything.

Joy -

I am afraid to try effexor and topamax. I had the reverse effect happen to me at the beginning of all this. I actually got depressed and fidgety off of antidepressants/anxiety meds. I am an anxious person, but by no means majorly depressed. I felt hopeless, sad, foggy, deep saddness. I quit the meds and a few weeks later - Bang! I felt better.

That part scares me because if this Verapamil stops working, what in the world can I take? I always said I would try effexor, but is it worth it? I don’t know. Topamax scares the crap out of me. I have read so many warnings and posts regarding it lately. For now, the Verapamil will have to do just fine.

Nance

— Begin quote from "nance"

I have really been paying close attention in finding my triggers. I was feeling pretty good for a few days in a row. All of a suudden the weather jumped to 60 degrees from 30 degree weather and below. The snow pretty much melted and today it is about 40-45 degrees. We are expecting rain today. I feel dizzy again and my “dips” - elevator feelings are back. I have read all your posts regarding seasons and weather. I am definitely thinking it is a trigger of mine. I think barometric pressure is a huge factor for me. So far, I have noticed my triggers are - weather changes, stress, not enough sleep, caffiene, but I am not sure what foods trigger me yet. I am thinking sugar is, but I am not sure. I do have a question, does anyone know if Verapamil helps diminish the actual “dips”, where you feel like the ground is dropping? It has helped me with the rocking and general dizziness. Dr. Hain had mentioned a different med for the “dips” on top of the Verapamil. I don’t want to load up on a bunch of meds.

Nance

— End quote

Nance,
Do you live in Iowa? You describe a weather pattern that we had here a couple of weeks ago almost to a tee. Surprisingly, that weather swing didn’t cause me problems, but then again, I was sick and may not have noticed it. Sugar indirectly can be a trigger, if you eat to much, then your body does one thing to keep your blood sugar from going to high, but then when you run out of sugar, your body is still trying to keep the blood sugar level low and you end up on a sugar crash wich can cause migraines. It does for me, so I try to maintain a diet similar to a diebetics, just not nearly as strict.

Brian

Brian,

Actually, I live not too far from Iowa. I live in Peru, Illinois. We are centrally located. We have about 8,000-9,000 people approximately. I am about two hours south of Chicago. I think we pretty much have the same weather generally speaking. I am hoping the weather this spring won’t affect me too much. You know how stormy our springs can get. Weather never affected me too much before all this started. I don’t know what to expect this spring and summer. It will be a year this May that all this started. I can’t believe a year of this MAV mess has passed almost already. Gee, I hope I can enjoy my summer somewhat this year. Last summer was the summer from hell. I wouldn’t wish this upon anybody. Last year I went to a museum in Iowa on a field trip for my daughter. It was about an hour and a half drive only. That was before the MAV crash. The good days.

Nance

The “dips” was one of my MILLION symptoms before Topamax. After 4 months on it, it stopped. I don’t know if it was the topamax or adaptation but it is 99.9% gone. The only time I get it now is if I walk in pitch black sometimes, or walk for long periods of time, and I do mean long periods of time. even my wife is saying “hey, lets take a break”, so it’s not like 15 feet and then I get the dips like I used to. But it’s really not a big thing like before. Before, it was 2 feet, then dips, 1 foot, then the dips. Sometimes I’d just be standing still and I’d feel like the elevator took me for a ride. Now I rarely get it. Before it was 24/7 basically is what I am saying. Now it is a symptom I very occasionally get as a “trigger”. I don’t know if that helps or not but for me, the symptom did go away. If it went away for me, it can go away for you too.

Rich

Rhich sounds like your symptoms were somewhat similar to MdDs. can you tell me more about your symptoms as Im not entirely certain which group I belong in :wink: