Verapamil and rapid heartbeat

Hello Everyone,

I’ve been on 40 mg of Verapamil for almost 5 days and I haven’t felt anything until this morning. Now I have a rapid heart beat, just like I’ve been running. Is this normal and will it go away? Do you guys know?..I still drink a little decaf coffee in the morning…I’m not sure if that is making it worse. I usually don’t feel bad from drinking decaf once a day (small cup).

Let me know what you think, :roll:

Best,

Emma

Hi Emma,
I think some of these side effects are “normal” until your system adjusts to it. I am on the SR or ER of Verapamil. One time the doc forgot to mention that in my script…so I take my usual dose and I get some pronounced palpitations. I knew this was not how I felt on the ER or SR, so I checked the bottle and saw the error. Anyway, you might want to ask your doc if he can switch you to the slow release or extended release and see if that makes a difference. Or maybe your system will just work through it. Good luck and keep us posted!!

Pam

When on Verapamil, I experienced an increased awareness of my heart beat. This kept me up at times. I did get used to it, although it was annoying at times. Dr. Bucholtz writes a few sentences about it in his book, heal your headache.

Hi Emma,
It is so ironic that you posted this today because I am on day 4 of my new dose of verapamil and my heart rate has greatly increased. I clearly remember that when I was on day 5 of my last dose increase the same thing happened. Last time it only lasted one day. My body adjusted back to it’s normal low resting heart rate.
Keep us posted,
Lisa

I had virtually no side effects from Verapamil except for the too-low blood pressure. Sorry.

Hi Everyone,

I felt better after an hour or so; it wasn’t too bad, it just felt uncomfortable…however, I’m having a bad day today cause I’m on my period and and I feel pretty lightheaded more than usual …I hope it will get better soon. Thanks for responding. NYlisa, how are you feeling now since you increased the dosage? Are you on 180 mg?

Best,

Emma

Hi Emma,
I am actually on day 5 of 240 mg. Still not feeling great. I’ve made some mild improvements, but the rocking has not really been touched and it is brutal!! My plan with my neuro is to give this dose 6 weeks and then we will add on another med if needed.

The therapeutic dose of verapamil for most is 240 - 326 mg, so don’t be too worried if you don’t see results yet on your small dose. I also started with 40 mg. Glad you are feeling better with the heart rate.

As always, keep us posted:-)
lisa

Hi Lisa,

Thats a pretty high does you are on…I’m on day 7 with Verpamil 40 mg, and I started feeling pretty lightheaded yesterday, and it has not gotten better today. I called the pharmacy and they told me this is normal and will go away after a couple of days. Can you relate to this Lisa?
I’m suppose to go to this big U2 concert tonight and I hope I can make it…

Best,

Emma

Hi Emma,
I have never been lightheaded (only heavy headed). I make sure I am well hydrated and have increased my salt intake. Do you monitor your blood pressure when you feel light headed? That will tell you if it is the verapamil or just another MAV symptom.

Best,
Lisa

Hi Lisa,

I haven’t monitored my blood pressure but I think the symptoms I’m having are side effects from Verapamil. This is the 9th day I’ve been on Verapamil and I feel worse on it. I’m more off balance and I feel this tension behind my eyes; it’s like my eyes can’t follow my head movements as well.
I’m not sure what do??? Will this go away or is this medication not for me? I haven’t heard back from Hain yet…
I will power through if I know it will get better… :frowning:

Emma

Hi Emma,
I have never experienced one side effect from verapamil, even at my current high dose. That is why I am so hoping that this med will work for me because I actually tolerate it very well.

I hope Hain gets back to you soon. I know others have had some more experience with tolerating verapamil and perhaps they will chime in.
Keep us posted with how Hain advises…

Best,
Lisa