Verapamil

This may be a bit off topic but my PCP put me on verapamil for my blood pressure. He doesn’t know much about MAV but said maybe it would help with both things. I had to beg him to let me titrate up slowly.

My question is how long does it take for Verapamil to work on lowering blood pressure? I know it can take a long time for it to help MAV but does it take that long to lower blood pressure. I forgot to ask the doc.
Sally

Hi Sally,
Glad to hear that your PCP chose verapamil for bp lowering in light of your MAV diagnosis. It usually takes about 2 weeks to get the bp lowering effects with this med. How high was your bp (if you don’t mind me asking) and what dose did you doc start you at?

Lisa

Thank you, Lisa. He compromised with me and started me on 20 mgs twice a day for two weeks and if tolerated, we will move up from there. So far, my rocking is much heavier but really no side effects. I’m not sure it is a good idea to cut the pills in half as they seem to dissolve very quickly and partially in my mouth.

I don’t mind you asking my BP because it is a concern. It has been as high as 196/106 and come down to 146/96. It has been extremely variable through this six year ordeal but this is a new PCP and he is concerned about it.

Your information is appreciated. Hope your doctor helps you tomorrow.

Sally

Hey Sally,
I have to say I am a bit surprised at your starting dose of verapamil for high blood pressure?! I can’t imagine that even touching you one bit… With the frail elderly, or VERY small stature and weight people (or children), the minimum starting dose would be 40 mg three times a day (120 mg per day). Was that your request to start so low?

I wish you luck with your blood pressure and hopefully the verapamil will stop some of your MAV symptoms as well. I suspect for both though you will need a much, much higher dose and you are lucky in a way that you have high bp so you should tolerate this med. I’ll keep my fingers crossed…

And, I decided today to go ahead and start my upward titration myself…I will discuss a faster titration rate with my doc tomorrow.

Thanks for your support.
Best,
Lisa

It’s touching me, in the form of increased rocking and some vision problems. I did ask to titrate slowly but maybe should have just bit the bullet and gone with the full dose spread throughout the day.

We’ll see. Hope you do well with an increase.
Sally

Well, it has been one week on Verapamil and my condition has deteriorated. What little balance I had is gone, the rocking is deep and springy, my neck feels like there is a rope pulling it back and forth violently. I am swollen. But, I have very little head pain.

I really don’t think I can keep taking it but don’t want to give up after only a week on 40 mgs. a day.

Sally

— Begin quote from “Sally”

Well, it has been one week on Verapamil and my condition has deteriorated. What little balance I had is gone, the rocking is deep and springy, my neck feels like there is a rope pulling it back and forth violently. I am swollen. But, I have very little head pain.

I really don’t think I can keep taking it but don’t want to give up after only a week on 40 mgs. a day.

Sally

— End quote

Have you discussed this with your doctor. Maybe there needs to be an adjustment of some kind.

Yes, of course I have. He has no clue why people with migraine varients have such reactions to small amounts of medications. Cutting the pill smaller isn’t really an option, even cutting them in half causes them to melt in my mouth and theaputic levels are closer to 120 to 240 not 40 mgs.

S