Vertigo and migraines completely gone after corticosteroid Dexamethasone

About 3 months ago I had a migraine with aura, and then experienced vertigo almost every day since + a near constant dull headache for the whole 3 months. I found some relief from magnesium and was looking at starting an SSRI again.

About 6 weeks ago I had a small, unrelated surgical procedure and was prescribed corticosteroid, Dexamethasone for 4 days.

Since then the vertigo has completely gone, not even a single moment of dissociation, or my perception being off. I have only had 1 headache just before my period. I might just be correlating it to the Dexamethasone and perhaps it was something else, but it was definitely

Anyway, just reporting my experience, not sure how or if it would be valuable to anyone since Dr’s prob wouldn’t prescribe it for such use given it has many side effects.

1 Like

Now that appears very off-label indeed! Very pleased for you and hope it’s gone for good.

A previous neurologist of mine prescribes it to some as an semi-yearly, short-term preventive/abortive. Some of her patients experience complete or near-complete relief during the dosing / after (period of 1 week or 2 weeks efficacy). It seemed this was almost entirely in a cohort of non-vertigo/mav migraine patients. I was prescribed it but never took it. I think it is still in my stockpiled graveyard of MAV pills.

1 Like

Interesting! I did some research after posting this and found that they have used in studies and found to break the MVP cycle, which has absolutely been the case for me (at least 3-4 months on…).

4 days of steroids is better than a lifetime on SSRI’s as far as I’m concerned!

2 Likes

I take a blast of 60mg of predisone about once a month for a non-related TMJ episode and it makes my vertigo worse. So it depends on the person!

1 Like