Vestibular Migraine dx - actually from NECK?

Neck exercises for the Sternocleidomastoid muscles – both sternal and clavicular divisions. I updated my post to reflect some of the exercises I have been given by my vestibular physical therapist. I recommend getting a referral and having the therapist assess you and show you how to do the exercises that you need. Good luck!

1 Like

. Sternocleidomastoid muscles – both sternal and clavicular divisions

1 Like

7 days of Amox-Clav 500-125mg antibiotics and then another 10 days of a Doxyclycline Hycate 100 mg cap, and then I was given Amoxicillin 875 mg tab for 10 days, meclizine, and Ondansetron ODT during my E.R. visit for the Vertigo.

Thank you, Mazzy! I hope you seek a referral to see a vestibular physical therapist like I received my family doctor. It has been a godsend! I am getting better by the day - as long as I do my exercises. The muscles for me, are the Sternocleidomastoid muscles – both sternal and clavicular divisions are what my problem area is and it does cause all of the symptoms of vestibular migraines.

2 Likes

I have had treatment for my neck which helped the dizziness but not the distorted vision/light sensitivity. Did you have distortions in your vision as well? Be interesting to know if we shared similar symptoms

I would suspect that’s because there is commonality in the aetiology somehow. This would surely not be by chance.

3 Likes

It would seem less likely to experience certain eye issues where the dizziness was caused by neck issues. Unless one just also happened to be a migraineur anyway. My brother had no migraine and he had not light or sound sensitivity and no ongoing balance issues once the acupuncture cleared his vertigo even though he’d been bedbound for about 18 months most of the time. I don’t think he had head pressure, just neck and neck down stuff. Helen

1 Like

Yes thanks Helen very interesting, unfortunately I was already a migraineur with auras , not very often though so suspect I have a few things going on. Double whammy maybe! :astonished:

1 Like

Ah, double edged sword that one. A label gets attached to you then and every where you go medically you get diagnosed before you even walk through the door. I’ve a sister-in-law with bad arthritis who always swears if she went to the doctors with a pimple on the end of her nose they’d say it was arthritis! Helen

2 Likes

Have you heard of the Watson Approach? It’s a particular way of diagnosing and treating people with migraine and headaches which are caused by neck issues. Might be worth your googling it. I’m considering trying it myself but at the moment the travel involved is putting me off.

2 Likes

Thank you,

I did not have aura’s, but did have sensitivity to noise & light.

1 Like

Yes, from my understanding the Watson Approach treatment for headaches involves applying selective stress to the specific cervical segments of the neck that are identified as the problem area by a physiotherapist. Physiotherapist’s are supposed to be more hands on than a physical therapist, however, my physical therapist is hand’s on with the muscles that are at the core of my problems. I suppose if you feel your problems are from a vertebrae issue, seeing a physiotherapist that uses the Watson Approach may be of benefit to you. Maybe you can find a place close to you that uses his approach if that is what you are wanting to try.

2 Likes

I agree!!!

I have heard of the Watson headache approach, I have been thinking of trying it. I would have to travel a bit too but it’s probably worth it. I will post back here if I decide to go. I’ve just gone up 5mg of Ami to 35mg and even that small amount ramps up my symptoms quite a bit, hopefully it will settle down :roll_eyes:

1 Like

How long did it take for your exercises to work? Did it get worse before it got better?

I went to the physical therapist for 7 visits to gradually learn the exercises. I have been doing them for 4 months. It didn’t get worse. Now, if I don’t do my exercises I wind up with the same issues. I was told it could take a year or more for my muscles to be back to normal since they didn’t get like that over night. It is a slow process, but the results were pretty obvious after the first several weeks. I was also told that I should continue to do them so my neck doesn’t wind up like this again. I have sometimes neglected to do my exercises when I have been over tired and boy have I regretted it!!

1 Like

Thanks again for the information

2 Likes

You’re very welcome, John! Good luck to you!

1 Like

I had a massage with a new masseuse the other day, she said my neck and shoulders are terrible and found many muscle knots. It was amazing because she said most of my symptoms were coming from my shoulders and sitting at a desk. I must say I feel so much better from just seeing her once, improvement in my vision and not as much light sensitivity. Not as fuzzy dizzy headed. I think the neck and particularly stiff muscles play a huge part in MAV. In this case my shoulder muscles are pulling on my neck.

1 Like