Vestibular migraine – neurologic clinics, May 2009

Hi Gang,

Another new paper on the way analysing this junk. It’s definitely gaining recognition! I can’t get the full article yet but will post here when it becomes available in the next week or so.

Scott 8)

— Begin quote from ____

[size=150]Vestibular migraine[/size].
Neurolic Clinics 2009 May;27(2):379-91
Neuhauser H, Lempert T
Department of Neurology, Augustenburger, Berlin, Germany.

Vestibular migraine (VM) designates recurrent attacks of vertigo that are caused by migraine. VM presents with attacks of spontaneous or positional vertigo, lasting seconds to days, accompanied by migrainous symptoms. Because headache is often absent during acute attacks, other migrainous features have to be identified by thorough history taking. In contrast, vestibular testing serves mainly for the exclusion of other diagnoses. Treatment is targeted at the underlying migraine.

— End quote

Hi All,

As promised, here’s the review. It’s pretty good and up to date. The authors have put together a diagnostic criteria shown below.

http://www.glycemicindex.com/sd/diagnostic_criteria.png

Full article:

http://www.glycemicindex.com/sd/vestibular_migraine_09.pdf

Scott

Scott, Thanks for posting this, it’s a great article. I wish some of the doctors I have seen would read it :slight_smile: . A couple sentences really stood out and seemed to fit the bill for me, such as “Not infrequently, migraine headaches are replaced by vertigo attacks in women around the time of menopause.” and “Head motion intolerance, quite similar to motion sickness (ie, imbalance, illusory motion or nausea aggravated or provoked by head movements) is a frequent additional symptom.” and “In an individual patient, it may be difficult to differentiate between episodic motion sickness and attacks of VM induced by motion stimuli.”

One thing I found a little confusing is that he says the duration of symptomatic episodes is minutes/days in MAV compared to weeks/months in BPPV (he’s not referring to individual attacks but to a “symptomatic episode”) as my current episode has been with me for years and years. I thought MAV was more of a long term disease and BPPV a short term one.

Book