Walking on unstable surfaces

I notice from various VRT documents that people are advised to ‘progress’ onto walking on uneven surfaces e.g. Carpet, grass etc…

So in most cases people find keeping balance easier on flat, stable surfaces.

Why is it that many of us with mav, feel so much more comfortable on these surfaces. I find walking/standing on solid surfaces so much worse.

When I walk on grass I feel nearly a symptomatic

1 Like

Hi,

I’m one of the people who finds walking on a hard surface easier, and walking on a soft or uneven surface really difficult. In particular the slightly spongy surface that is often used in children’s playgrounds is a real killer for me. But one thing I have noticed from having been on here for a couple of years or so, if that if you find anything that people with MAV find difficult to tolerate then you will find some who experience the exact opposite. One good example would be that some people on here find alcohol really messes up their balance and is a huge migraine trigger, whereas some people actually feel better when they drink alcohol.

There are a few things that almost everyone seems to find difficult though, e.g. fluorescent lighting, busy supermarket aisles. But maybe someone will now chip in and say they never feel better than when strolling through Wallmart/Asda :lol:

1 Like

sorry to drag this article back up but im wondering if anyone else is similar to me with this symptom

They are all really hard for me- but really soft spongy ground (like mossy) is the most difficult.

Uneven surfaces, unstable surfaces, have always bothered me to one degree or another my entire life! Also, walking in the dark…the depth perception loss I think is part of the problem in both cases.

K

My best is a level hard surface. Obvious sloped hard surfaces are OK as is grass, or plough as long as it’s firm. It’s the soft spongey surfaces that cause a reaction with me. Tussock grass, mossy terrain I can cover but it soon leaves me feeling unbalanced and if recent experiences are typical winds up other symptoms later and on into the following days. I don’t remember ever having experienced that ‘marshmallow’ floor that do many people mention however I do feel my brain must overreact to the very slightest deviation underfoot. Since going chronic I’ve noticed this with floors indoors, tarmac drives with slight ridges caused by tree roots presumably. Slight bumps which nobody else ever seems to be able to feel. I read and reread lots of related material but still can’t decide whether MAV, or VRT, made my brain overally sensitive to the signals coming from the feet because there’s unreliable input coming from my ears or whether it’s just another case of MAV doing what MAV does. As so much else has improved since I moved to Modified Release Propranolol I was surprised to find I was still experiencing such strong adverse reactions to soft/uneven surfaces. At VRT I never found walking on a pillow or foam having a similar effect and I wasn’t even on any medication back then