Weird Stomach anyone?

Ever since Ive had chronic migraine my stomach has been very odd. Not sure if anyone else experiences this but it’s almost like when you have a nervous stomach and you get butterflies and your stomach moves about all the time. I have had it for 9 months now my insides feel like they never stop moving it’s really weird and it feels like my stomach is vibrating sometimes. I was put on mebeverine and domperidone with good effect but haven’t been able to stop it completely (I did stop taking these for a while just restarted them). When I first had it I though alien was about to burst out of my gut but it’s a bit more settled now but still 24/7. It’s still very annoying, was wondering if anybody else is suffereing with this?

I started with abdominal migraine as a child. I have always had stomach problems before I recognized I had migraine as well. I used to get low down stomach ache whenever I was stressed.
Now, I wake in the middle of the night with a knawing hungry feeling, this I recognize as part of my chronic migraine. Stomach is always making noises and I also have had Irritable Bowel from time to time which has lasted 3 or more weeks at a time. Lately I have had a couple of really bad bouts of stomach ache (top stomach) where I have been bent over with knife like pain for several hours, the dr. says the stomach lining is inflamed. All brought on by a bad period of stress over the last month. I also get weird flutterings, not always sure whether its indigestion or my heart palpitations :lol:

With migraine, the stomach slows right down which is probably part of the problem, also they reckon 95% of the serotonin made in our body is made in the stomach and only 5% in the brain.
My stomach very rarely feels calm and relaxed.

Christine

— Begin quote from “cmoc”

I started with abdominal migraine as a child. I have always had stomach problems before I recognized I had migraine as well. I used to get low down stomach ache whenever I was stressed.
Now, I wake in the middle of the night with a knawing hungry feeling, this I recognize as part of my chronic migraine. Stomach is always making noises and I also have had Irritable Bowel from time to time which has lasted 3 or more weeks at a time. Lately I have had a couple of really bad bouts of stomach ache (top stomach) where I have been bent over with knife like pain for several hours, the dr. says the stomach lining is inflamed. All brought on by a bad period of stress over the last month. I also get weird flutterings, not always sure whether its indigestion or my heart palpitations :lol:

With migraine, the stomach slows right down which is probably part of the problem, also they reckon 95% of the serotonin made in our body is made in the stomach and only 5% in the brain.
My stomach very rarely feels calm and relaxed.

Christine

— End quote

That would be me. I have had chronic delayed gastric emptying ever since my migraines went to hell. I don’t have the butterflies feeling, but do have chronic nausea and spitting up.

Hahaha I know exactly what you mean about the fluttery feeling from your stomach being confused with your heart. It’s hard to know what’s going on inside there with all the weird migraine symptoms wish I had x-ray goggles sometimes. Mebeverine really helped to calm my stomach down.

Domperidone is absolutely brilliant for nause and vomiting. I take 60mg a day. It’s good to know am not alone. Stomach cramps are the worst. I get stomach cramp so bad sometimes it leaves me in a hot/cold sweat. It’s interesting to know about the seretonin 95% in the gut. My stomach was bad about 10 days before I started with migraine.

Geez, I didn’t know these had anything to do with migraine!

I’ve never heard the term, “abdominal migraine” before.

And I basically lost a (stressful) job at age 29 and gave up a career when I woke up one morning and couldn’t straighten up. The folks at the hospital found nothing wrong except for Elevated (something obscure, I forget what, may be a hormone, it might have sounded stress-related).

I started nortriptaline years before I was diagnosed with MAV, by a gastroenterologist treating my pattern of abdominal spasm.

Yes I’ve had an intermittent dodgy stomach since having this and also occasional irritable bowels. It’s not surprising though as nausea/vomiting is a “normal” symptom of a classic migraine. I must admit I didn’t realise it was a symptom of normal migraine until I read about keeping a migraine diary and it asked you to note if you had vomited that day :shock:
Fortunately I haven’t been that bad, more of a very tight stomach sometimes and bad indigestion/wind. I think this was one of the reason’s I couldn’t tolerate taking an SSRI as it just exacerbated this problem.
Interestingly Nortripyline, which I’m currently on, is also used for treating IBS.

I didn’t realise that Nortriptyline treated the stomach as well as migraine headache. I have just started amytriptyline 10mg so hopefully it will treat my stomach as well as my headache!