What else causes severe motion intolerance?

I’ve always had problems with movement and motion sickness and watching kids on swings and others on rocking chairs, etc. Even thinking about being in a rocking chair gives me a feeling of carsickness. In the past I’ve tried to find the cause of this but was never able to find anything until I started to get vertigo spells and went to the MM board and there for the first time I saw that motion intolerance is a symptom of MAV. What a relief it was to read that!! Even when I told my doctor years ago (pre-vertigo days) that I felt car sick all time he didn’t know what to make of it and said maybe you have a mild form of mm (maybe I do but I hope not). And more recently, when I told one of the ENT’s about this he said that’s just the way I am and there is no significance to it.

Does anyone know of any other diseases that cause a chronic motion sick feeling and severe motion intolerance? I understand that MM can - is there a way to differentiate between the motion sick feeling MM causes and that of MAV? How about BPPV? One doctor told me I have BPPV because of this feeling but I thought with BPPV you got vertigo when turning your head but then it was over and you were fine until next time.

If you know of anything else that would cause this I’d like to hear.

BW

I’ve seen people with most disorders describe this, to some extent, so I’m afraid it doesn’t guide you much. A few examples: labyrinthitis, vestibular neuronitis, perilymph fistula, SCCD, BPPV and MM. Having it badly seems to be more common in MAV, but I don’t exactly have any scientific evidence for that claim :wink:

— Begin quote from “Tranquillity”

I’ve seen people with most disorders describe this, to some extent, so I’m afraid it doesn’t guide you much. A few examples: labyrinthitis, vestibular neuronitis, perilymph fistula, SCCD, BPPV and MM. Having it badly seems to be more common in MAV, but I don’t exactly have any scientific evidence for that claim :wink:

— End quote

Tranquility,

Are you refering to motion sickness or motion intolerance? Motion sickness is exactly what it is called, sickness usually naseau caused by motion. Motion intolerance is something all together. What I call motion intollerance is an exageration of motion, where a simple little motions feel like fast large motions and you can’t tell exactly where you are going because you are feeling the motion all wrong, no sickness required. I have broken my toes four times walking into corners because I can’t feel the motion of the turn correctly.

I’m expecting that you have talked to people who have and do experience chronic motion sickness, but have they said the same about the motion intolerance? I have talked to people on other boards as well who have said that they experience chronic motion sickness, but I don’t recall the motion intolerance. I have asked about motion intolerance in the past and except for this site I got a bunch of questions. I do have to admit that I haven’t talked to people with all of the ailments that you mention so I don’t have an accurate data base to reference from, I am just trying to clarify things. :smiley:

Please don’t take me wrong, I know you from another board and I know that this post sounds like someone from that board and I have to much respect for people in general to mention that persons name, but this post sounds like something he would say to start trouble up. I really am not try to start trouble, just trying to clarify.

Brian

Brian,

To me motion intolerance means something different than what you are saying. To me it means I can’t tolerate motion. Any kind of motion makes me feel sick (or to put another way, causes motion sickness in me). Either me making the motion such as moving my head a tiny bit or doing something major like swinging on a swing or turning in a cirle. Or other people making the motion such as watching someone swing or rock. Just the slightest bit of movement makes me feel this way.

I’ve also experienced bumping into walls as I turn the corner - seems like I misjudge how much space I have. I don’t have a name for this but it is very embarrassing when it happens :oops: . Fortunately no broken bones yet!

I wonder if there is a real “medical definition” for motion intolerance? Maybe I’ve been wrong in thinking what I have is motion intolerance and it is really something else.

BW

— Begin quote from “bookworm”

Brian,

To me motion intolerance means something different than what you are saying. To me it means I can’t tolerate motion. Any kind of motion makes me feel sick (or to put another way, causes motion sickness in me). Either me making the motion such as moving my head a tiny bit or doing something major like swinging on a swing or turning in a cirle. Or other people making the motion such as watching someone swing or rock. Just the slightest bit of movement makes me feel this way.

— End quote

That’s exactly what I mean as well.

Thanks ladies for the clarification. :slight_smile:

Brian

— Begin quote from “Brian B”

Brian

— End quote

Hey, my name may not be cool, but I’m no lady! :mrgreen:

So can we call you MR. Tranquility then?? 8)

— Begin quote from “joy”

So can we call you MR. Tranquility then?? 8)

— End quote

A bit off topic, but my name actually comes from a Swedish melodic death metal band, Dark Tranquillity - Misery's Crown - YouTube (link to a sample song, that I don’t expect anyone here to like). :mrgreen:
I have a related nickname on other forums etc, which was NOT inspired by much of anything. Just figured I’d pick something else for the health-related forums. :slight_smile:

Well … I hope you’re “in a happier place” than the sample song!! I kinda liked the music & the vocal (that growling, gravely tone) but the lyrics … not my thing! My college-aged son would probably like it though. Guess I’m showin my age :oops:

I think I’ll just call you Mr. T … hehe

Okay, back to topic now 8)

Brian

— End quote

— End quote

Sorry about that, I always “assumed” that you were a lady. Now I know better.

Brian

Brian

— End quote

— End quote

Sorry about that, I always “assumed” that you were a lady. Now I know better.

Brian