Why does Nicotine help?

Has anyone here had the experience that nicotine acts as an antimigraine medication and anti-dizziness aid? I realize the inherent addictiveness and danger of the drug, but on the handful of times that I’ve tried it, it seems to significantly take the edge off of my dizziness and even prevents future attacks.

Has anyone else noticed/experienced this? THIS IS NOT AN ENDORSEMENT TO SELF-MEDICATE YOUR MIGRAINE WITH NICOTINE – THIS IS BASED ON PERSONAL OBSERVATION. DO NOT SELF-MEDICATE

1 Like

I never really got ‘attacks’ of dizziness, more just symptoms getting maybe 20% worse for the odd week every few months. I did feel though like nicotine (I used an e-cig at the time) would take the edge off, but unsure whether that was more because it relieved anxiety. Seems like there’s a grand total of 1 paper looking at this:
https://journals.lww.com/euro-emergencymed/citation/2007/08000/antimigraine_action_of_nicotine__theoretical_basis.19.aspx

makes me very suspicious for the cholinergic system being central in VM. rare autoimmune diseases that target nicotinic receptors in the brain can cause the same syndrome

Update: nicotine does not seem to be helping this time. I tried chewing some leftover nicotine gums I had from a few years ago, and it seemed to neither help nor hurt, really. Just added the nicotine buzz for a few minutes and then nothing.

Interesting. Thanks for sharing. For posterity, don’t do nicotine

Nicotine has kept me off this forum for a few years but its given me other health issues, costs alot and is exremely addictive.

3 days clean now and I am back here due to a massive attack of the dizzies.
Go figure.

But dont go self medicating with nicotine, its an evil poison.

So it took care of your dizziness? That’s interesting. What other health issues did you experience?