Why is the anxiety always there

Hi All,

I guess I am one who is affected greatly by the anxiety side of things as well as the constant sensations of disequilibrium. People say that their anxiety lessens when they understand why the symptoms are happening to them with migraine being the cause…

But I don’t understand why the anxiety is always there with me, in various levels of intensity, but always there. I understand my condition and am learning to accept it which should in itself should help overcome the anxiety right?

Or is it that because my brain is being constantly confused by migraine that its constantly in a heightened state of alert?

I know what you mean when I feel symptom free I’m always worrying that it will come back and when I feel rough I get really down I don’t care that I know what it is in a way sometimes I think it makes it worse I think people are just different and deal with things in their own way I’m def a cup half empty girl lol have you spoke to your consultant I think they can give you something to help x

thanks for response Shenay

It must be nice to at least be symptom free sometimes :slight_smile: I have been constant for over a year now. I am going to see a counsellor to hopefully help with coping with the dizziness. I mean, on the face of things I cope well, I am holding down a job, do a lot of sport and try to get out as much as possible, but the anxiety is always there with me and its horrible

Have you tried meds?

Hi rich,

I’m with you on this. Dr S described it as feeling like there is a lion in the room with you at all times. Your brain is in a heightened state due to effectively dealing with so many bad/mixed signals.

It’s a chemical reaction and doesn’t mean that you have become a worrier overnight. I’ve found propranolol has helped me with the anxiety side of things.

When I recovered from this first time round the anxiety disappeared, it was a fantastic feeling of clarity and relaxation. I remember feeling so bright and alert and was really open to conversation - something that I avoid now sadly as I feel like my brain is overloaded.

You can take heart that your still managing to play sport etc, I’ve not been that lucky, I would imagine that helps with the anxiety ?

Dean

1 Like

I prefered CBT over counselling as CBT gives you the the tools to help you deal and cope with it.

Counselling made me worse as i was just talking about things and bringing things up.

I asked dr s what can i do to help me deal with the condition and the anxiety and he recommended CBT and meditation.

Everyone is different though so counselling might suit you.

What meds are you on richy?

Hillsta,

Did you find the CBT helpful to you at all ?

RichyF,
The brain being in an over sensitized state that results in this MAV monster, also is being triggered in that fight or flight status. That I one of the reasons meds for anxiety help…it calms the brain down. My anxiety was crazy…24/7 and debilitating. I got so much better once my meds kicked in. The Cymbalta and the Klonopin keep it at bay …both the dizziness and anxiety.

— Begin quote from “hillsta”

**I prefered CBT over counselling as CBT gives you the the tools to help you deal and cope with it.
Counselling made me worse as i was just talking about things and bringing things up.

I asked dr s what can i do to help me deal with the condition and the anxiety and he recommended CBT and meditation.

— End quote

Me too. I believe I have read studies that state that CBT is the most effective type of therapy for anxiety disorders. I could be wrong about that though. I turned into an anxious mess with this. It is a combination of the disorder itself plus becoming afraid to go anywhere for fear of getting really sick that did me in. It became a vicious downward spiral. I am doing a combo of CBT plus meds to help me. Depending on how bad the anxiety is, some docs will suggest medication (even if just for the short term) to help bring you down to a level in which you are able to handle working through the CBT exercises. For me, that was Lexapro, but there are lots of options if you and your psych determine meds are right for you. Of course, this is just my experience and someone else will probably have a different way that helps them.

— Begin quote from “hillsta”

I prefered CBT over counselling as CBT gives you the the tools to help you deal and cope with it.

— End quote

Hi Richy, I agree with Hilsta. CBT is the best thing for managing anxiety, and believe you me I know as I suffered terribly with anxiety in the past. Counselling will probably help to a certain extent as just talking about your fears will do you good but to really get a grip and get the anxiety under control CBT is the way to go.

I am also doing a yoga and relaxation class, that may also help. I’ve found it really beneficial.

X x x

Thanks for all the replies guys. I will discuss this very point with my counsellor and ask whether she is able to support the CBT side as well. Otherwise will look for someone else.

I guess our ultimate dream is for this crap to go away, but actually learning to live with it is probably a more realistic response, hoping one day it will recede. Quite sad though :frowning:

Richy, you wont have to live with it forever

Richy, is your anxiety the physiological sort or the psychological sort? By that I mean do you have debilitating physical symptoms of anxiety like sweating, shaking, panic attacks, nausea, heart palpitations etc or do you just feel anxious and worried about things and on edge about your other symptoms?

For me, when mine started I developed all these physical anxiety symptoms which were horrendous and it wasn’t like it was brought on by worry, even though these physical symptoms were making me very worried. This type of anxiety was new to me and was terrifying. After a few months it subsided as my body and brain became more used to feeling dizzy/off balance etc. Obviously most people have experienced psychological anxiety at some point in their lives eg worrying, feeling anxious, obsessing over something but that doesn’t usually create too many physical symptoms. For me there was a sharp difference between normal or extreme mental worry and anxiety and then this awful physical anxiety that I couldn’t control. I just wondered what type of anxiety you are suffering from…

Jem, what an interesting way to seperate the types of anxiety…

The only one of the physical symptoms that you have mentioned is a panic attack. I have the type of anxiety where my mind is constantly over thinking, analysing, always on edge, like there is something to bad going to happen, which never actually does. Not sure if that makes sense?

The only real moment of clarity I have, when my brain is not over thinking or analysing etc is when I have an afternoon nap on the sofa on a weekend, or when I drink alcohol. When drinking Alcohol I feel so much better in general. I am sure that is because my brain is just calmed down from all the excessive worry.

In that case Richy, it does sound more like psychological anxiety and I definitely think CBT will help you with that x

The mental side of anxiety can lead to the physical manifestations and vice-versa, at least for me. Mine tend to start with ruminating thoughts and anticipatory anxiety, then the physical symptoms kick in, and then it turns into a vicious cycle of being anxious about being anxious. Sometimes the physical stuff will hit before I even realize I am extra anxious mentally, and I think CBT can help there. It teaches you to be more aware of your thought patterns and results. Another part of the equation that can help, and at least in my case helps, is learning cue controlled relaxation. There is a little blurb about it Treat Anxiety with Cue-Controlled Relaxation | eNetMD. My cue is pressing my thumbnail into my forefinger. It is something subtle enough that I can use it anywhere without someone knowing.

i am on a high dose of cymbalta which is holding back the anxiety from blowing out of proportion.its also helped the dizzies. i feel the anxiety lurking around internally but nothing i cannot handle now and i know its there cz im still hovering around 70%. i am sure the day i become 100% my anxiety will b gone. once u get on an anti depressant that works for u richy at least ur anxiety will b under control which is a big trigger for migraine and some part of ur hopefully ur dizzies too

Richy am i right in saying you’re on 10 or 20 mg of nort. You are doing so well considering. I didn’t notice any improvement until I start to get up to 40-50 mg.

For so many the condition and anxiety are so closely linked and again for do many the anxiety diminishes as the symptoms reduce. If the anxiety is taking up too large a part however it’s best to seek treatment. Quite often the preventatives taken can treat both. Apparently even tiny (10mg) dose of Amitriptyline can influence mood.