Are any supplements comparable to medications for VM?

Are there any supplements that have been shown to be effective in preventing or improving Vestibular Migraine? Is it a waste of time to try things like magnesium and CoQ10? I know that the lifestyle factors are also important (avoiding triggers, sleep, stress, etc).

I take magnesium glycinate and it’s been a huge help, but I know it doesnt work for everyone. I use magnesium salts in the bath weekly, or when I’m having a bad day. My Neurologist also prescribed Riboflavin which I’ve been taking for about 8 months now. I certainly feel better than I have done in years at the moment but suspect that’s due to a combination of the right meds, lifestyle etc as well as supplements. Feels like there is no one thing that works, rather it’s a treatment pie of sorts!

Have you looked around the forum?

1 Like

its not a “waste of time” but they’re unlikely to be the sole thing that gets you to recovery. they’re more like little drops in the bucket that definitely could help, but only marginally.

that marginal difference starts to mean a lot when you’ve gotten to like 70-90 percent through other means.

many doctors recommend the typical migraine supplements for about a month, and then if that doesnt help, its time to try a preventative.

dont be afraid of medication

4 Likes

Thanks. VM certainly has enough impact on my life to lift me over the hurdle of medication concerns. After all, one needs some quality of life, and it’s worth taking some risk to try to get there.

1 Like

Got to agree with @sheepdog_lord, medication is often required to help calm things down. But don’t let that stop you experimenting with supplements.

There is loads of existing material on what supplements are helpful already on the forum.

Look through this Category.

I have noticed when I take Magnesium every day, I’m basically head ache free after a while. I definitely notice the difference without it. I highly recommend a good high dose magnesium supplement. Having said that though, it wouldn’t have been enough on it’s own, but has helped after I’ve basically got control over it with meds.

Personally magnesium glycinate. If my dizziness is like a 4 or 5/10, it definitely brings down my dizziness to a 2/10 an hour later I take it. It is also the only form of magnesium I’ve been able to tolerate due to sensitive stomach issues.

What dose of the glycinate do you take, and do you get a lot of dietary magnesium?

I take the magnesium glycinate This. Take 2 pills in the morning and 2 in the afternoon which equates to 350mg.

I also take propranolol as a preventive which has been working for me to some degrees

2 Likes

Thank you - and I wish you continued progress.

2 Likes

I do 400 mg of glycinate in the evening, and about 150 mg of Threonate earlier in the day after my first meal. Glycinate is the only thing I’ve found that doesn’t mess with my GI, but threonate is supposedly more “neurologically active” so i try to get some in a limited quantity

Thank you for sharing your magnesium. I found this brand in another thread but the link went to an out of stock product, and reviewers said it was discontinued. I have been taking Mg oxide for years (IBS) and didn’t even know there were other kinds that can help migraine/vertigo until this past February. I just started having vertigo in January, but was diagnosed chronic migraine in 2018.

There are lots of different compunds of magnesium. Magnesium citrate can help constipation, glycinate is relaxing and good for sleep, threonate is good for the brain, malate is good for energy etc. Your one, magnesium oxide is actually not very bioavailable at all. There are probably better options out there. I take magnesium with 8 different compounds in to cover all bases.